Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2009 * Archive through August 24, 2009 * Using Quaternary Ammonia < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Destroyer
Username: Destroyer

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 68.38.183.92
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got back from a restaurant supply store, where I was able to pick up two containers of QA - one of tablets for dropping into a gallon of water and the other a spray bottle. They were expensive, but actually not as bad as Starsan. ($15 for the two containers)

Since it's new to me, I'd appreciate any usage tips people have. The directions say to allow the products to air dry, and they say it's safe for any "non porous" material, which I assume means SS and glass, but not hoses or plastic buckets. Any worries or concerns about using this stuff? I'll probably use it rarely, but it's good insurance since I had a couple starters go funky lately, and I can blast my starter flasks.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5885
Posted From: 63.118.227.254
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only tip I can offer is for the tablets, I would slightly crush them up in a mortar and pestle and dissolve in a bit of warm water, then add to the proper volume. The first time I used them, I dropped 5 tablets into a corny of cold water, and they took forever to dissolve.

I do allow any carboy or keg I use to air dry thoroughly before use. Like you, I use QA not that often....maybe once a year.....but it is good to give bugs a taste of something else now and then.

Lilboybrew
Username: Lilboybrew

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 24.1.25.87
Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I own a small restaurant and use QA all the time. Unlike other "sanitizers" more QA is not better. Do NOT use more than the instructions specify. QA is safe at 200ppm, but considered lethal at 400ppm.