Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2009 * Archive through October 10, 2009 * LGrain Mites < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Belly Buster Bob
Username: Canman

Post Number: 3089
Posted From: 131.137.245.198
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello all:
here's an interesting story for those that store grain for any period of time.
Last couple years have been incredibly hectic for me and my family so brewing has been set aside.
I had a single bag of grain sealed sitting in my basement. I figured why not? it's not doing any harm in a dry basement....WRONG
A couple days ago my wife is diggin thru some of our stored stuff and lets out a shriek no man wants to hear....ever.
The entire corner of the basement where the grain was was crawling with tiny almost too small to see bugs. I mean crawling.
It was obvious the grain was the source so it immediatly was double bagged and removed. The problem was so overwhelming that we paid an exterminator $400 to help us. He will fume our house for the second time today.
As embarrasing as it is to have a bug infestation I thought it good info to pass on. These little buggers got into everything, we have had to open every closed container or tightly pack box in our house so the fog can get into it. Not fun at all

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 3090
Posted From: 131.137.245.198
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just for interest, I think I've had that bag since July 07 as that was the last brewing session just shortly after we lost Marlon Lang

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 6765
Posted From: 74.83.191.159
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CO2 will kill the little bastards. Either from a tank or in the form of dry ice.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2862
Posted From: 167.4.1.41
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Freezing works too, though harder to do with a whole sack!

Some LHBS purge CO2 through their grain bins for this purpose.

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 3091
Posted From: 174.117.53.114
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm talkin whole basement here fellas. Infested

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2863
Posted From: 167.4.1.41
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I think we're both talking about what to do BEFORE they hatch!

I typically freeze smaller bags (<5#) overnight. I've never had a sack longer than 6 months, and I tend to transfer to smaller containers when they get under 15# or so.

Hope the fumigation works. Atleast they don't bite. ;)

PaulK
Advanced Member
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 857
Posted From: 68.63.203.31
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My local homebrew shop charges a premium for all the grain weevils they sell. You could have sold your grain to them since they seem to prefer infested grain.