Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The Tool Shed * Building a Stir Plate . . Part 3 < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1990
Posted From: 74.177.60.105
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mounting Everything: (fan attached with some silicone caulk)

Final Assembly:

The Twins! (the one one the left already fitted with a non-skid surface)

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 11219
Posted From: 24.141.103.148
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's very nice. I like your case better than the plastic one from stirplates.com (which looks like a Rubbermaid or Tupperware kitchen storage container). I do like their control circuit.

What was your source for the rare earth magnets?

dhacker

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Applied Magnets

http://www.magnet4less.com/

Cases from Mouser . . .

(Message edited by dhacker on January 31, 2010)

Gary Muehe
Username: Garymuehe

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 99.151.113.37
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, I have the one from stirplates.com. It's actually quite sturdy. I put my full 4 liter flask on it and it stirred and supported it just fine. You can't beat it for under $50 bucks delivered plus a stir bar.

michael atkins
Advanced Member
Username: Mga

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 71.38.67.137
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dhacker

You are a freaking genius. I just ordered one complete with a 2nd stir bar for $53.00 delivered.

Now I will have to look for a flask! I have been procrastinating on this for years now - so thanks for pushing me over the cliff.

Nephalist
Username: Nephi

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 71.134.52.169
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm no electronics geek. I was looking for the explanation of the various parts. I guess they came in the DIY pink package (with instructions?). Overall, what's the cost?

dhacker

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael . . no genius, just a whacked out tinkerer!

Nephi . . the circuit build is quite simple. There are no instructions included with the parts kit, but the label on the pink package directs you to the website for instructions, and they are adequately detailed. The little circuit board is silk screened with the parts identification and layout so it's real easy to figure how to stuff the board. The 2 resistors are probably the biggest deal in terms of getting them in the right place, but really, easy enough.

My total cost to build, including shipping? Using what I had on hand, (12vdc motors, nuts, Lexan etc.), I'd say about $45 each. You can shop for motors and other parts at http://www.allelectronics.com/ to get your motors or other electronic parts, which is where I believe Derrin gets his stuff.

(Message edited by dhacker on February 01, 2010)

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 11221
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd call $40 a fair price for a stir plate from stirplates.com. I hunted for a used stir plate for about three months before I bought mine on eBay 10 years ago. By the time I paid the shipping and handling, I had $50 invested. I doubt Derrin is making much more than enough for a few batches of homebrew from his little endavor. Now and then I have to remind myself this is a hobby.

Nephalist
Username: Nephi

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 162.116.29.68
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a surplus stirplate from a lab-cleanup at work. Anyone in the LA/OC area want it for $30? I figure it's too heavy to ship. Bill, please remove my post if there's a rule against this. I didn't see a marketplace on the site.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 11224
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The HBD does have a flea market: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

However, it's all but inactive lately, so let's see if you get any bites from you message here first.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 2397
Posted From: 71.234.45.166
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Catching up on some old threads I haven't had time to read. Resisted the urge to kid dhacker for buying a kit motor controller rather than rolling his own. (Truth be told, I'd probably buy the kit too. But it was tempting to tease.)

Anyway, if you really want to go cheap, get your magnets out of an old, dead hard drive and your motor out of a dead PC. If you don't have a dead PC in your house, I'm sure there is one in the electronics recycling area at your local dump. Google for links on how to remove the magnets from a hard drive.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 11228
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point, Paul. There are obsolete PCs almost everywhere, and this is a good opportunity to salvage usable parts.

dhacker

Post Number: 1996
Posted From: 72.4.22.214
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny thing is, I DID buy the parts to roll my own . . the day before I stumbled across Derrin's site and thought, "Hmmm, this is neat, cheap and would make assembly easier." I'm a sucker for shiny things. So, I have a number of regulators, resistors, caps, and pots looking for a home. I figure I'll build up a few stir plates and sell them for an obscene amount of money at the brewfest later this year.

Also, I dismantled several hard drives to harvest the magnets inside. First, it's a challenge to remove them without breaking them as they are glued in pretty well. Second, the magnets are crescent shaped and you have to turn them the same direction on the fan hub to realize the different poles. It makes mounting a little more of a hassle as well as balancing. The neo magnets I got were less than $2 a piece . . cheap enough to not worry about demolishing old hard drives!

Patrick C.
Advanced Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 950
Posted From: 74.94.43.85
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another easy way to do it is to use a model train controller. They output 0 to 12 volts DC, so you can control how fast it spins. Don't know if that will burn out my salvaged fan one day, but I can easily get more of those. My total cost to build a stirplate was less than $10, since all I had to buy was the magnets and a box to put it in.

Here's a new one for $20-
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mdp/mdp1250.htm

Connie, do the model train power packs show up in yard sales?

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 2399
Posted From: 71.234.45.166
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been meaning to build some stir plates for $0 each just to be able to say that I did.

I salvaged the crescent magnets out of a number of old hard drives, plus enough other parts that I was ready to build 3 or 4 stir plates. But somehow the magnets ended up in a project my son built and two of the fans got used in a solder-fume exhaust system (one permanently, the other broken during installation).

I salvaged some more magnets and decided I'd use a servo motor, hacked for continuous rotation, and its controller salvaged out of a dead RC toy car. But one of my robots burned out a drive servo, so I needed the salvaged one. Probably better, since the gear train would have made it loud.

Current plans are to use a stepper motor salvaged out of another broken toy. I've got some ICs left over from a robot project which can be hacked into a ghetto stepper driver, but I need to find the time to breadboard the circuit and get it tuned.

I figure that, by the time I actually get one built, I'll have invested $400 - $500 in otherwise-billable time on my "free" stir plate. If I wasn't having fun, I would definitely buy one pre-built.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 11234
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Periodically I remind myself that homebrewing is a hobby. It certainly wouldn't be cost-beneficial if you looked at it any other way.

Connie
Username: Connie

Post Number: 1498
Posted From: 76.17.52.96
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Patrick C.,
Yes I've come across a few of the model train controllers. I've been interested in the older model trains with metal cars....haven't thought about applying the controller to a stir plate, good idea. But, I think If I decide to go with a stir plate, I'll also go with Paul Hayslett's logic and buy one

Tonymaud
Username: Tonymaud

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 151.190.254.108
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hacker, what size project box is that and where did you end up getting it?

dhacker

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6.2" X 6.1" X 2.5" from Mouser. Unfortunately, looks like they are temporarily out of stock. You can probably get the same thing from Newark, Allied, or Digi-Key.

http://www.mouser.com/Enclosures/Enclosures-Boxes-Cases/_/N-5g3p?P=1z0z2wqZ1z0jc eq

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3886
Posted From: 66.32.170.63
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radio Shack and Frys have simular hobby boxes. That's what I used but with a 120V fan. The 12V ones seemed too whimpy to me.

Catt22
Intermediate Member
Username: Catt22

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 216.14.78.130
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The 12V ones seemed too whimpy to me"

I agree. 120v AC FTW. I need the horsepower that the 110v fan provides.

Pat Babcock
Username: Pbabcock

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found it!
Pat Babcock
HBD Chief of Janitorial Services

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: