Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2011 * Archive through April 28, 2011 * North Country Malt < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 2795
Posted From: 71.234.45.166
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone else notice that North Country Malt doesn't seem to be selling direct to homebrewers anymore? Their old web site seems to be gone and the new one for the Country Malting Group doesn't seem to have any homebrewer links.

I know that there is now a retailer called 50 Pound Sack which sells bulk grains and hops and has a more enlightened shipping charge policy. Maybe they pushed NCM to abandon that end of the business? Anyone know for sure?

I enjoyed buying from NCM in the past. Shipping charges aside, I thought their customer service was excellent. Anyone know if 50PS offers the same level of customer service?

Paul Edwards
Username: Pedwards

Post Number: 2082
Posted From: 76.252.15.142
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the move to drop retail sales to homebrewers happened when North Country Malt got bought out.

That's from what I recall from something I saw on another forum , if I remember correctly.

New corporate owners were the ones to decide to drop HB sales.

Yup, they stopped selling direct last Sept 1st, unless you were a customer that had done business with them in the preceding 12 months

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/north-country-malt-group-stop-selling-homebrewers-191682/

here's the page with the contact info, in case anyone wants to call or e-mail them to ask why they dropped HB'ers

http://countrymaltgroup.com/contact.asp

(Message edited by pedwards on March 31, 2011)

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 4130
Posted From: 12.200.127.44
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

50 lb sack's prices seem steep to me even when taking into consideration they're building in the shipping. I can get bags for much less at my lhbs.

Their hop prices are steep too. Just got in hops from Hops Direct and they're still doing their brewers pounds. Ranged from 1.5-2.6 oz over a lb.

Paul Edwards

Post Number: 2084
Posted From: 76.252.15.142
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I, too, can get 50 or 55 lb sacks from my LHBS better than I can get anywhere else. What they don't have, that I've gotten from NCM, is Hugh Baird Carastan.

I"ll bug the LHBS again...

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 12773
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

North Country Malt's parent company bought a homebrew wholesaler (Brewcraft), and discontinued selling directly homebrewers so as not to undercut the wholesale business and anger homebrew shops who felt they were losing sales to their supplier's owners. Yes, it was a marketing decision. Homebrewers who want to be creative about bulk orders have been forced to enter into arrangements with craft breweries.

The only area where I enjoy paying less than most US homebrewers is in terms of grain. I can buy directly from Canada's largest independent malt distributor, although I have to drive 45 miles to pick up my order. The single bag price is quite decent, but just recently a collective of area all-grain brewers arranged a group buy of 400 bags at what a medium size craft brewery would pay. The result was domestic two-row malt at $24 per 55 lb. bag, for example.

The price of many commodity items has gone up considerably in the past several years. This is true worldwide. I recall when a brewpub where I worked was paying $14.50 per 50 lb. bag of two-row malt. Even the single bag price I was paying was $22 (for 55 lbs.) four years ago.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 2797
Posted From: 71.234.45.166
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are way more lucky than you know. No LHBS near me sells full sacks for less than $1.50/lb, even domestic 2-row. The prices on 50PS are the same as I'd pay locally or from my regular supplier in Ohio after you include shipping. NCM used to be cheaper but only if we could batch up an order for 10 sacks or so.

I have gone to every local craft brewery and brewpub, both as an individual and representing my club, asking to piggyback on their grain order. None will even entertain the idea. We managed to coerce one brewer to do it just once, but he made it clear that he was not happy and would never do it again. That was years ago.

So I'll probably end up at 50PS the next time I need grain. Maybe I'll be able to batch up an order with some other club members and we'll qualify for a discount.

Thanks for the info everyone. Glad to see I wasn't just being stupid when I could no longer find the homebrewer link on NCM's site.

Josh Vogel
Username: Loopie_beer

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 65.60.138.116
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check out midwest supplies. They seem to have the best 50lb prices I have found on the net... They also offer all kinds of grain and adjuncts at 1/2 lbs to 50 lbs which makes it nice if you want to buy a little bit of something.

James
Username: Jnmayer

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 67.162.119.209
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have an active account with them, you can still make purchases as a homebrewer. They are not accepting new homebrewer accounts, though. Give them a call.

Scott Morales
Username: Smutty

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 75.68.50.10
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The hb club to which I belong still buys from NCM as recently as February. The club usually buys at least a pallet of grain plus some buy bulk extract. I concur, give them a call.

Paul Edwards

Post Number: 2085
Posted From: 76.252.33.157
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I emailed them and they told me if you last order was over 1 year ago, your account was deleted from their system.