Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2011 * Archive through July 05, 2011 * Priming with fruit juice < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Dave Huber
Username: Hubie

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 173.79.20.62
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an American Wheat in the carboy ready to bottle. I was thinking of trying to take about a gallon of it and priming it with fruit juice to see what kind of character it gives. I wanted to check to make sure I'm running my numbers correctly.

My assumption is that you take the specific gravity of the juice and assume that anything over that of water is fermentable sugar. So, if my fruit juice had a SG of 1.035, I would assume that it has 0.035 gr/ml of sugar in it. If I wanted to use a typical homebrew priming value of 5 oz sugar per 5 gal batch, that would be 1 oz sugar for the 1-gal, which is something like 28 grams. Therefore I would need to add 28/0.035 ml of juice to my one gallon, which is 800 ml, or 1.7 pints. This is adding about 20-pct liquid to that gallon, where the result of which on the final beer isn't immediately clear to me other than getting a slightly lower carbonation value than anticipated because now my volume is increased.

Besides verifying that my reasoning is correct, does anyone have experience doing this, and does it have a noticeable effect on the beer?

Steve Ruch
Username: Rookie

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 209.240.206.200
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Early in my home brew days I made a cantalope wheat beer. I saved some of the juice to prime with. It got left out at room temperature too long and did indeed effect the beer. But I ended up with a lambic like beer that turned out pretty good.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 12968
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never tried to prime with fruit juice, but your numbers and thinking seem correct to me, Dave.