Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2011 * Archive through September 14, 2011 * Tips on using citra? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Joakim Ruud
Username: Joques

Post Number: 1952
Posted From: 91.135.33.235
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Going to try brewing an APA with citra hops for the first time. I've heard they can be overpowering on their own. Any tips on what other hops go well with Citra?

Anthony Catencamp
Username: Reddog

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 69.11.252.142
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joakim,

I've made an all Citra Am. Wheat that I love. I don't think that they are overpowering at all. I'm sure that Cascade or Centennials would go well with the Citras.

Good luck!

Steve Ruch
Intermediate Member
Username: Rookie

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 209.240.206.192
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On saturday I had a pale ale from American brewing at the N.A.O.B.F. in Portland that listed citra as it's hop ("generously hopped") with dry hopping. I didn't find it overpowering at all.
It reminded me of cascades so I think it would blend well with any hop that blends well with cascade.

Jack Horzempa
Username: Jack_horzempa

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 68.82.57.55
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joakim,

I have an all Citra hopped IPA fermenting in my bucket at the moment. Needless to say I can’t provide any feedback on this beer yet, since it is not beer yet. One piece of feedback I can provide on this beer in progress: I have made many beers (274 batches so far) but this Citra IPA had the best smelling ferment that I have ever experienced. Every time I went to the basement where the bucket is located, the smell of the out gassed Citra hops had me salivating. I will be dry hopping this beer in a couple days to ‘replenish’ the aroma.

I recently had a chance to drink Hill Farmstead Double Citra IPA. It is an Imperial IPA which was solely hopped with Citra hops. That beer was outstanding! Based upon that beer I have no qualms on an all Citra beer being “overwhelming on their own”.

You might be interested in reading some review of the Hill Farmstead beer: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/69522

I would encourage you to make an all Citra APA.

Cheers!

Jack

Bill Walton
Intermediate Member
Username: Vladie

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 206.205.111.98
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joakim,

Check out this article if you haven't already.

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/2351-new-hop-varieties

I can provide another data point for the "catty" aspect. I judged a friends beer in a competition about a year ago and used that exact description without knowing anything about how the beer was made. He wrote me when he got his scoresheets and told me that he had used primarily Citra and agreed that I was dead on with the "catty" characteristics.

BW

Steve Anderson
Intermediate Member
Username: Steveinmemphis

Post Number: 365
Posted From: 66.195.24.74
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am presently enjoying a keg of citra hopped pale ale. It is basically a SNPA clone with citra subbed for cascade. It is wonderful! I think next time I brew a barley wine that I will mix citra with ammarillo and cascade.

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Alec
Username: Pdxal

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 71.214.64.101
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the citra beers I've tried have been good, I'd say go for it, Joakim.
I've had an all citra IPA, several others dry hopped with it, and Widmer's summer seasonal blonde features citra. All have worked well.
Steve R., you're making me start to regret passing on the NAOBF. Other good beers there too?

Steve Ruch
Intermediate Member
Username: Rookie

Post Number: 258
Posted From: 209.240.206.194
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alec,
Shame on you. :-)
I tried 12 beers there and even the couple I didn't like all that much were well made.
Ukaih Brewing had an excellent Pils made with motueka hops.
Lucky Lab's Rose City Red was very good.
Bison Brewing's honey basil ale was good.
Also Fish Brewing had a nice IPA.
My favorite was the Laurelwood pale ale.
The Brewer at Laurelwood, Chad Kennedy, was kind enough to respond quickly to my e-mail asking about the hops used.

(Message edited by rookie on June 29, 2011)

Jeff Rankert
Intermediate Member
Username: Hopfenundmalz

Post Number: 322
Posted From: 76.122.179.76
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of my good friends has been winning awards with his Citramarillo Pale Ale. I think you can figure out the combination.

Marc Rehfuss
Intermediate Member
Username: Marc_rehfuss

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 99.165.91.16
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dislike Citra on its own, but is does marry well with other American hops. Citra + simcoe is a fantastic combination. I used that in a big IPA a few months back and loved it. Equal additions of Simcoe and Citra for every hop addition (except bittering which was Magnum). I can see Amarillo working well also... I'd imagine that would be a fruity, citrus and pineapple bomb. Citra to me is more tropical than citrusy. Lychee, potent pineapple...etc.

Brad On Bass
Username: August_west

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 72.88.54.21
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

+1 to the Citra/Simcoe combination - a couple guys in our club made a pale ale featuring those two and it was outstanding. The citrus aspect of the Citra pairs really well with the cattiness of the Simcoe. They even did a version of it aged on cedar that I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Definitely have plans to make something similar soon.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13057
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall the cedar version of the Citra/Simcoe pale ale Brad mentions. It was runner-up best-of-show at a large competition sponsored by the club he belongs to and where I was one of the BOS judges. The cedar actually added a nice complexity to the beer. I would have drunk more than one.

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any cedar, and no other C hops either, so I'll go with 100 % citra tomorrow :-) Going to try spacing them out as much as I can. Wish me luck!

Jack Horzempa

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joakim,

Good Luck!

I just added dry hops to my all Citra IPA yesterday. I dry hop in my primary bucket. As I was adding the dry hops I stuck my head in the bucket and took two big whiffs. It smelled glorious! If my beer takes half as good as its aroma (even before dry hopping) it will be a very good beer!

Please report back with your results.

Cheers!

Jack

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 4173
Posted From: 76.122.104.54
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done an all citra PA and while it was good I think a mix with any hops already mentioned would be better. I get a orange mango flavor from them that's very unique.

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, the beer's all kegged up, and all I can say about Citra is "pineapple". Perhaps a little "mango". It's like a tropical fruit punch, at least to my taste buds.

Jack Horzempa

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joakim,

So, do you like your all Citra Pale Ale?

I bottled my all Citra IPA last week. I will report back on my IPA once the bottles are fully carbonated.

I found the below posting on http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00 &updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=19

"Citra Hop IPA

3 lbs golden light DME (60 min boil)
3 lbs golden light DME (15 min boil)
1 lb Local Honey (flame out)
1 lb 40L crystal malt
1 oz Citra First Wort Hop
2 oz Citra 20 min
2 oz Citra 10 min
1 oz Citra Dry Hop
2 pkgs US-05 Fermentis Ale Yeast

Pretty simple. We'll see how she shines!

Revision: 10-29-09

Kegged it up and force carbed it. It was super fresh. These are my notes: Big pineapple, piney aroma with a touch of onion. Lots of front-forward pineapple flavor, rounds out to piney flavor and leaves a touch of onion in the back end of the finish. Interesting. It's almost like a mix of amarillo, simcoe and summit all in one.

A week has gone by and the onion flavor is gone. I have to say that this is one of the most interesting hops I've ever brewed with. This simple recipe could probably win a medal because the flavor in this beer completely blows away any other kind of IPA I've ever had. It's so unique. I gave a pint to my sister and she said, with no hesistation: "Wow, this is good." And it is good. The flavor blows away any 60 min IPA.

If you haven't tried Citra hops, give them a shot as a single addition to really understand how they work. It's freakin' awesome.
Posted by Homebrew Junkie at 9:55 AM"

Cheers!

Jack

Steve Anderson
Intermediate Member
Username: Steveinmemphis

Post Number: 369
Posted From: 66.195.24.74
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My keg of Citra Pale Ale gave me it's last pint yesterday afternoon. I immediately checked the gravity on my saison. It is at 1.014 from 1.056, so it is getting close going in a keg. Until then all I have is a keg of hard cider and some bottles of mead and barleywine, all of which are too strong for casual drinking. I will definitely use Citra again, but will most likely mix it with some Cascade and Amarillo.

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack, well ... I guess I'll drink it. And when I have one girl or other visiting, I guess it'll be popular.

I guess I shouldn't judge it before it's carbonated, better wait and see what that does to it. But right now I'm thinking that next time I'll use it at max 25 %, if at all :-)

Tony Legge
Advanced Member
Username: Boo_boo

Post Number: 544
Posted From: 174.118.73.14
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found that to be a good mix also Steve.
I used citra @ 13.4 for a 20 minute addition in a APA I entered at the Great Canadian HB comp this year and won a bronze for it.
I used Amarillo for bittering. citra at 20 and cascade at 15 and 5

Jesper Nymann
Username: Nymann

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 62.107.124.202
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I brewed a pale ale with citra and elderflowers. I think citra has some elderflower character that complements the elderflower very well.

Beside that I also thinks it is good with simcoe or on its own.

Jack Horzempa

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joakim,

I would recommend that you give your pale ale a bit more ‘conditioning’ time before you make your final judgment.

It has been my experience that for my IPAs, I need about 4-5 weeks in the bottle before the flavors/aromas ‘round out’ in my beers. This is true no matter what hops I utilize; my house IPA is an all Centennial hopped IPA (basically a clone of Bells Two Hearted Ale).

I tasted my all Citra hopped IPA when I bottled it; I tasted the hydrometer sample. Obviously I can’t really judge this batch yet since the beer is uncarbonated (and it really needs additional conditioning time as discussed above). I can say that my perception of this beer to be is that it was indeed ‘different’. I will know the preliminary story in another week when it is carbonated and I will know the ‘real’ story in an additional 2-3 weeks hence.

Cheers!

Jack

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13097
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I admit that I, too, like IPAs that have aged at least a few weeks. I'm looking for a complexity of hop character in conjunction with a malt backbone rather than merely an in-your-face blast of hops.

Tex Brewer
Advanced Member
Username: Texbrewer

Post Number: 680
Posted From: 216.203.59.252
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Second Street Brewing in Santa Fe is having July as "IPA month" with five different IPAs. I tried three of them, all were excellent, and the all-Citra one was the best.

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2011 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to say, a little conditioning did wonders for this beer. The pineapple/mango has gone into the background, but I still think the name "citra" for this hop is a gross misrepresentation! My LHBS will get some 2010 Centennial tomorrow (finally) and I still have some citra left. Will see how they go together.

Jack Horzempa

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I figured I would provide some ‘reports’ on my all Citra IPA.

I bottled my IPA three weeks ago (7/12/11). I tasted a bottle after two weeks. It was carbonated and it had an ‘interesting’ taste. The tropical fruits were definitely dominant but I could perceive some citrus tastes but they were definitely in the background. I tasted another bottle last evening (8/1/11) and it certainly has ‘matured’ in that one week period. I had a similar experience as Joakim in that the tropical fruit flavors were not quite so ‘vibrant’. I would describe the IPA to be a bit more ‘mellow’ than last week. The tropical fruit flavors are certainly still there but not as ‘in your face’. I would venture to say that the tropical fruit flavors and citrus flavors are a bit more balanced.

I can certainly report that the Citra hop is the most vibrant and interesting hop that I have ever brewed with. I am enjoying my all Citra IPA at the moment but I suspect it will peak in flavors in another 2 weeks or so (this has been my experience with my other IPAs as well).

Another ‘data point’ on my all Citra IPA is from my wife. She has an extremely perceptive palate and she is not shy in ‘reminding’ me that she is a super taster. With two weeks of bottle conditioning she was not a fan of the beer. I asked her for some detailed descriptions but all she would say is “I like you other IPA better”. My other IPA is my house IPA made entirely of Centennial hops. At the three week point she made an interesting comment after consuming half of the beer. She stated something like “there is something wrong with your IPA, you should taste it.” I took a sip but it tasted OK to me. She then stated “Don’t you taste the lemon? It now tastes like lemon!” So after consuming a little over 6 ounces of beer she really perceived a strong lemon taste. Since I am only a ‘regular’ taster I did not perceive this strong lemon taste.

I will report back in another 1-2 weeks on how this beer tastes at its peak.

Cheers!

Jeff Rankert
Intermediate Member
Username: Hopfenundmalz

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 76.122.179.76
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We were at a small brewery on the west side of the state that had I Citra APA that was an enjoyable combination of citrus and tropical fruit to me.

My wife, who may be a super taster, had a smell, made a face, and said "Cat Pee!".

I continued to enjoy my pint. She has the same opinion of Simcoe.

Jack Horzempa

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

It is funny how different people perceive different flavors.

I made an all Simcoe IPA last fall that I really liked. My wife (the super taster) also really liked this batch. The dominant flavor that my wife and I perceived was piney.

My wife made no mention about cat pee. I am sure that if she detected cat pee she would have mentioned it (and since she was previously a cat owner she really ‘knows’ her cat pee).

Cheers!

Jack

Alec
Username: Pdxal

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 71.38.149.46
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, I pick up "cat pee" in Simcoe too. I think there's another hop that gives overtones of it too... Nugget?
I still like Citra, though.

Kevin Kowalczyk
Username: Itsfunbrewingbeer

Post Number: 1029
Posted From: 75.217.138.196
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the super tasters I know won't touch beer, or coffee, or a bunch of other stuff--they can't stand even small amounts of bitter. They don't like spicy either. Personally, I prefer to have a less sensitive sense of taste, and be able to enjoy a wider variety of flavors.

Jack Horzempa

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin,

Thanks for that input about super tasters. I will have to use that ‘argument’ the next time my wife ‘reminds’ me that she is a super taster. She is a real hop head and really likes IPAs. I will have to inform her that she really isn’t a super taster if she likes hoppy (bitter) beers!

I was drinking another of my all Citra IPA beers last night when she stated “I like beer” (which is her way of saying I want a sip). She had her nose in the beer for several seconds (too long for my tastes) and then she finally took a sip. She then stated “yum”. I asked her “what flavors did you taste”. Her reply was “I tasted yum”. I am a ‘regular’ taster and even I can come up with a lame descriptor like “yum”.

Cheers!

Jack