Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2011 * Archive through December 10, 2011 * O2 for cider < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Steve Haun
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevehaun

Post Number: 415
Posted From: 67.209.87.85
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 03:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am getting ready to make cider with wyeast sweet mead yeast. Is it ok to blast with O2 like we do with wort?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13283
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, yeast need oxygen for healthy reproduction.

Paul Erbe
Username: Perbe

Post Number: 1380
Posted From: 173.165.51.161
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It will not hurt anything but I am not sure how much benefit it will provide. Maybe different with liquid yeast culture but in all my years of wine making I have never introduced o2 to my must. Dry wine yeasts are normally rehydrated with juice/water mix and then poured on top of the must. I have never mixed it in and assumed one of the reasons for that was access to air/oxygen. I was always under the imppression that this was done for brewing because oxygen is driven off during the boil. Cider will not be boiled(would set the pectin) so it is probably not needed.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13285
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I confess I haven't made cider for quite a few years, but I find that I have fewer problems with stuck fermentation when I oxygenate my sweet mead prior to pitching. I don't boil the honey, but I do heat the water to about 170 F so that it dissolves easily. Of course I chill before oxygenating and pitching.

Paul Edwards
Username: Pedwards

Post Number: 2161
Posted From: 70.236.77.25
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't oxygenate my ciders.

As Paul says, I think cider has a lot more dissolved O2 already in it than does boiled wort, or honey, or a honey and water solution. I also think that heating water to 170 degrees F removes a lot of the dissolved O2

I've done ciders with just the native yeast from the apple skins. They ferment slowly, but still finish dry.

I'm drinking one from last year made with Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast. No O2 was added. Cider is pleasantly dry