Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2011 * Archive through December 10, 2011 * Trip To Belgium < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 2433
Posted From: 184.41.89.54
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had our 3rd annual Tennessee Cigar and Brew Fest this past Saturday and had about 1500 attend . . That is very encouraging for the event's future! Anyway, a took a flight of 8 different Belgians that were received with much praise and compliment which always feels good. One of the brewers form the Memphis club mentioned a beer festival in Antwerp that happens in June . . I believe the Beer Passion Festival. I suggested to my wife that that might be a good vacation next year . . she can shop for diamonds, while I shop for beer! (sounds equitable to me ) She said sounds good to her!

So, has anyone been to this fest? What are the language barriers to contend with in that area? Any info would be appreciated.

As a footnote, another guy from the Bluff City Brewers club brought a bottle of Westvleteren 12 to the Brew Fest which we shared . . . Simply sublime.

Don't suppose anyone knows a ringer recipe for this??

Dave Witt
Username: Davew

Post Number: 1614
Posted From: 24.7.227.140
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry about language, just ask for the right thing. Go here:

http://belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pronounce/speak.html

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13340
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking the Cigar and Brew Fest should be about this time of year. Glad to hear it went so well.

I was last in Belgium in 1985, when I knew far less about beer. But I still had a great time. I would go into a café and point to the old men usually sitting at the bar or a corner table. I'd say I wanted whatever they were having. Often the barman or waiter would tell me I probably wouldn't like those beers. I'd tell him I wanted to try them anyway. Yes, a few times I had beers I didn't like, but mostly it was a new and wonderful taste experience. I suspect if I knew today what I had been drinking I would pinch myself.

I have a friend who now makes a yearly trip to Amsterdam, where he spends a few days before taking the train to Belgium. Occasionally he will rent a car to visit a remote brewery, but most of the time he prefers public transportation (no worries about running afoul of the drinking and driving laws). He says today 90 percent of those in the Flemish (basically a Dutch dialect) portion of the country speak English, and about 75 percent in the French-speaking region. Knowing some of the local language (he speaks passable French) will earn you brownie points but is hardly a necessity.

There is at least a slim chance my wife and I will try to make a two or three week bicycling trip there next summer. She is very jealous of the year I spent in Europe on the bike more than 25 years ago.