Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2011 * Archive through December 10, 2011 * Best digital thermometer for brewing? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Steve Anderson
Intermediate Member
Username: Steveinmemphis

Post Number: 380
Posted From: 66.195.24.74
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is Christmas list time. I need a new digital thermometer. I can't remember the brand of my last one, only that it was small and yellow. Any of you guys have one that you love? Accuracy and durability are what I am looking for.

Dave Witt
Username: Davew

Post Number: 1618
Posted From: 24.7.227.140
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have this one from Northern Brewer.

Seems accurate, reads quickly and is well built.

Jeff Rankert
Intermediate Member
Username: Hopfenundmalz

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 76.122.179.76
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is spendy, but we got a Themopen (on sale). It is accurate and precise (two different things, but both are good to have). Reaction time is fast. Comes with a cal sheet, and it is traceable.

Use it to check the mash, and calibrate the dial thermometers on the kettles.

My wife really likes it for cooking, so it is not a unitasker.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 4242
Posted From: 76.122.104.54
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The CDN one is great. NFS certified and you can calabrate it and it's waterproof. And only $16.

I just wish they made one with a longer probe. I've checked, they don't

Alec
Username: Pdxal

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 71.214.70.208
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thermometer I love is my infrared beam thermometer. No actual contact with wort/mash, etc. so no worry about sanitation.
You need to allow for the fact that it only measures the surface of the substance measured, but once you have that figured out is very convenient.