Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2012 * Archive through February 03, 2012 * Juniper berries in award-winning RIS < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tex Brewer
Advanced Member
Username: Texbrewer

Post Number: 700
Posted From: 173.252.142.149
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post #700 for me, so starting a new one. I put 0.2 oz dried juniper berries (juniperus communis--harvested in the subalpine zone in Colorado) in a 6-gal. huge Russian imperial stout I named The Depths of Despair. Crushed and boiled 15 minutes. Can't taste them, but didn't expect to. The beer won an award and I will be helping brew it at Black Star Coop Brewpub in Austin! I would like to increase the juniper, but not so much that it is noticeable as such. How much would you recommend?

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 4247
Posted From: 76.122.104.54
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"How much would you recommend?"

What size batch are you doing?

Tex Brewer
Advanced Member
Username: Texbrewer

Post Number: 701
Posted From: 173.252.142.149
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6 gal. batch was what I did originally. The Black Star brew will be 6 bbl, so scaled up by 31X which would make 6.2 oz. It's dicey to scale up something that small that much, as a small difference in amount at the home brew volume would make a large difference at the full scale volume.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13448
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not surprised you didn't taste the juniper berries with only 0.2 oz. in 6 gallons of an RIS. Of course you won't taste them with 6.2 oz. in 6 bbl. either.

I think at this point you would do best to leave well enough alone. You don't want to take the risk of upsetting the flavor balance you achieved the first time out.

Otherwise I would have added 1 oz. to the 6 gallon recipe for more juniper flavor. But now I wouldn't change anything for a commercial batch.