Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2012 * Archive through February 03, 2012 * OLCC running scared? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Steve Ruch
Intermediate Member
Username: Rookie

Post Number: 299
Posted From: 209.240.206.192
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw a headline, in passing, in the Oregonian paper about the OLCC relaxing some rules about selling booze.
Do you think it could have anything to do with Washington recently voting to take the state out of the liquor business?
I'd be willing to bet there is more than one group in Oregon already making plans to try doing it there also.
I've always been against the idea of any state being in the liquor business.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 7636
Posted From: 208.85.238.144
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I think it definitely does. They'd rather loosen up than lose it completely. According to this http://www.registerguard.com/web/business/27336212-41/liquor-stores-commission-b eer-sales.html.csp that's exactly the reason.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13458
Posted From: 24.150.49.181
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Government does a terrible job of running a wholesale/retail business. Here in Ontario we have the world's largest alcohol monopoly, a public corporation that is a partnership with the large brewers/winemakers/distillers. It's an entrenched bureaucracy whose real purpose is to perpetuate itself at the public's expense. Their pockets are deep and their political influence large. Those who would have the power to control them are in their thrall.

Chris Storey
Username: Stuts

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 76.75.116.9
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, one of the reasons I homebrew is to never having to go to these stores. Too bad Ontario is stuck in the 1920's. That is good news from Oregon.

Kevin Kowalczyk
Username: Itsfunbrewingbeer

Post Number: 1042
Posted From: 12.31.148.84
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Government does a terrible job of running almost any enterprise. I would expand on that, but we would probably have to continue this thread in the "world views" section.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 13459
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll nudge it a little closer in that direction, Kevin. There are certain services the government provides reasonably well (those related to defense and public safety, for example), but I have trouble thinking of any goods for general consumption which the government should have a reason to sell. I've lived in several places where there have been government-run or sanctioned alcoholic beverage stores, and none of them were models of customer service. Most have passed into the realm of history, with almost universal public approval.

(Message edited by BillPierce on December 20, 2011)

Jack Horzempa
Username: Jack_horzempa

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 68.82.57.55
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

“Most have passed into the realm of history, with almost universal public approval.”

Unfortunately the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB) is still ‘alive’. I think the PLCB is a close second to the size of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO). I believe the only distinction is that in Pennsylvania you purchase beer from private Beer Distributors but the typical sale of beer is by the case (there are a few ‘bottle shops’ where you can purchase by the six-pack).

There are moves afoot to ‘reform’ the PA liquor laws. The new Governor has made statements that he would like to sell the state owned Wine & Spirits stores to private owners but the ‘trick’ is getting the legislators to make the necessary law changes. There is a bill being debated in the House but unfortunately the politicians are still proposing to keep state ownership of the Wine & Spirits Stores (see link below).

There have been other bills debated in the past concerning expanding beer sales (the state very much limits the number of beer selling licenses and restricts the quantities that beer can be sold at various business establishments). Unfortunately none of these bills have passed plus the bills were a bit ‘flawed’ since they were heavily influenced by the Malt Beverage Distributors Association of Pennsylvania (MBDAPA). The MBDAPA is the trade association for all Pennsylvania beer distributors, both retail and wholesale. MBDA includes over 450 members from throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The bottom line is that the legislators are more concerned about maintaining some level of state control (read that as revenue) and cow towing to lobbyists then in trying to serve the constituents (i.e., beer, wine and spirits consumers). A rather sad state of affairs but I suppose that politicians will be politicians!?!

Cheers!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11347/1196570-100.stm

Jim DeShields
Username: Niquejim

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 184.7.146.136
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's push it over to World Expressions
And we want the government to run health care, are we freakin insane

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 13461
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JIm, if you want it there, go ahead and start a thread.

Steve Ruch
Intermediate Member
Username: Rookie

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 66.96.79.211
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I lived in Pa there were no bottle shops so a case it was. Each of the distributors carried a brewery or two that the others didn't.
I couldn't believe my eyes my first night of league bowling in PA, guys were coming in with furniture dollies loaded with cases of beer and their ball balanced on top.

tim roth
Advanced Member
Username: Hopdude

Post Number: 841
Posted From: 173.22.59.37
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, PA has some wacky beer/liquor laws.
Being from WI, I thought they were joking the first time I stopped at a "6-pack" store and tried walking out with more than I was supposed to. I had no clue what they were talking about.
They have relaxed a bit on some laws since I started going to visit the in-laws in 1987.
cheers,tim