Post Number: 553
Posted From: 220.127.116.11
|Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 07:34 am: ||
The wife is out of town so I thought I'd experiment this weekend. I did a 5 gal batch with my old brewpot. A 5 gal brewpot. So I brewed "4" gallons. And I used a few other big pots to help boil down the last runnings of the batch sparge. Not as optimal as my 15 gal kettle for the usual 10 gal batches.
The best change was an attempt at a quasi-"Jamil" IC step. Since there was only 4 gallons of wort I was able to transport the pot from the kitchen stove (not the outdoor propane burner) to a stir plate on a table outdoors. The stir bar swirled the hot wort and I used a trickle of tap water to cool the pot. It worked well.
It felt like the same amount of effort as it took me to make 10 gallons of wort but it can work for trying new recipes. I was ready to hit my LHBS for some six row this morning to make a B52 (never attempted yet) but maybe 4 gallons of it next time. The new system could work out well for trying out new recipes.