Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2012 * Archive through February 03, 2012 * My first 5 gal batch in years < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Nephalist
Advanced Member
Username: Nephi

Post Number: 553
Posted From: 75.82.64.119
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wife is out of town so I thought I'd experiment this weekend. I did a 5 gal batch with my old brewpot. A 5 gal brewpot. So I brewed "4" gallons. And I used a few other big pots to help boil down the last runnings of the batch sparge. Not as optimal as my 15 gal kettle for the usual 10 gal batches.

The best change was an attempt at a quasi-"Jamil" IC step. Since there was only 4 gallons of wort I was able to transport the pot from the kitchen stove (not the outdoor propane burner) to a stir plate on a table outdoors. The stir bar swirled the hot wort and I used a trickle of tap water to cool the pot. It worked well.

It felt like the same amount of effort as it took me to make 10 gallons of wort but it can work for trying new recipes. I was ready to hit my LHBS for some six row this morning to make a B52 (never attempted yet) but maybe 4 gallons of it next time. The new system could work out well for trying out new recipes.