Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2012 * Archive through February 03, 2012 * Beer snobs and breweries that get too big? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

davidwaite
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 2205
Posted From: 209.255.144.129
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't catch this at BA:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfool/2012/01/26/sam-calagione-vs-the-beer-geeks -dogfish-top-dog-speaks-my-mind/

Steve Anderson
Intermediate Member
Username: Steveinmemphis

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 66.195.24.74
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had never read that blog before. I loved it.

Jack Horzempa
Username: Jack_horzempa

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 68.82.57.55
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Below is a link to an interesting article by Jim Koch on “The Paradox of Popularity”.

Cheers!
http://blog.samueladams.com/index.php

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13563
Posted From: 24.150.9.127
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both Koch and Calagione are shameless self-promoters (no doubt a highly important skill for successful entrepreneurs). Koch has done some stunts over the years that I would be ashamed of, and I thought Calagione was often insufferable on that reality TV show he was part of.

However, you have to give them due respect for their craft brewing accomplishments, and I generally agree with their thoughts about success versus beer snobbery. As I mentioned, I think Dogfish Head's beers are superior to many of the Sam Adams' offerings, which probably gives Calagione an edge in terms of my opinion of the two of them.

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 1250
Posted From: 173.9.91.69
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Koch pretty much changed the micro industry and broke both the 1% and 2% sales glass ceiling no?

He is the ultimate spokesman and relentless marketing guy. Whether he is shameless or not he has done more for craft beer than all of your average bears combined.

He also continues to push the envelope and brew new and exciting beers. We might not like all of them but what this guy does every day is great for the beer industry.

He is a character and quite frankly the industry could use a few more like him.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 7912
Posted From: 208.102.247.68
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hear, hear Scott!

Robert
Intermediate Member
Username: Okierat

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 138.32.32.166
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I don't know alot about it and hopefully someone will educate me. But doesn't Jim also do a Brew the American Dream loan program?

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 3001
Posted From: 24.2.134.193
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

During the big hop shortage a few years back, Koch released a bunch of stock he knew he wouldn't use, helping out a number of smaller breweries he could have viewed merely as competitors. Also, Boston Beer has always been extremely generous to homebrew clubs throughout the area. He can be boorish at times, but his heart is definitely in the right place.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13564
Posted From: 24.150.9.127
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Koch sponsors a program where entrepreneurs can apply to receive mentoring and some seed money. So far all of the recipients have been food, beverage and hospitality businesses (not all strictly beer-related) in the Northeast.

http://www.samueladams.com/btad/index.aspx