Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2012 * Archive through April 03, 2012 * Lavon Bair, 1931 - 2012 < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 3046
Posted From: 24.2.134.193
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sad to report that Von Bair has passed away. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma last summer and died at a local Hospice.

Von was one of the homebrew world's Great Old Ones. He started brewing more than 30 years ago, joined the Underground Brewers back when Pat Baker still ran the club (before there was a BJCP), became one of the first judges, and then organized competitions for decades. He won a shelf of awards at the Nationals, at MCAB, and at dozens of smaller competitions. I judged with him at Homebrew Alley a year ago, not long before he brewed his last batch of his signature Kentucky Rye Ale.

Of course, Von was much more than that. He was also a beloved father, a Navy officer, a distance runner (60 marathons), and a warm and loyal friend.

Please join me in a toast to an extraordinary man and a life very well lived.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13744
Posted From: 24.150.9.127
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will raise a glass in his honor. My impression of the Great Old Ones of homebrewing, those who are still among us and those who have passed, is that they are individualists who have a passion for themselves and who they are.