Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Middle-aged med and red cars < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Paul Hayslett
Advanced Member
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So what's the deal with middle-aged men and red cars? It's Friday before a holiday weekend and the first decent, sunny day of Spring. So, working in my home office near the beach, I'm watching the fair-weather-only cars cruise by. So far, I've counted 1 Ferrari, 1 Maserati, 1 Porsche, and 3 Miatas. Every one driven by a paunchy, middle-aged guy. And every one bright, flaming red.

Now, I'll admit that I don't really understand the sports car thing. As I approach my own mid-life crisis I find myself hankering after a flatbed Ford F150 with a lot of rust (something I need exactly as much as I need a 2-seater sports car). But what's the deal with red? You might as well tattoo a sign on your forehead: "Mid-life crisis in progress!" I just don't get it.

Ron Siddall
Username: Listerdister

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, I am 48 but not in the least bit fat. My wife and I recently bought a 2005 Vet that is bright red. She wanted the bright red one because she likes that color. I like it too.

Why now? Because our kid is finaly on her own and we can afford to spend some money on something nice for ourselfs. We could not of afforded this luxury earlier.

Where is the harm?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3142
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know, Paul. Cars are mostly only transportation to me. In 37 years I've owned just six of them. Four were green (including my current ride) and two were red (a boxy maroon Japanese sedan and a passably attractive American red coupe). I can't say that any of them got me any more attention or made me feel any different.

I do, however, recall the red VW Karmann Ghia convertible I drove for one summer back in the '70s when the owner (my brother) was out of the country. It did seem to be easier to find girls who wanted to go for a ride.

Joseph Listan
Advanced Member
Username: Poonstab

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are out there preventing cavities.

You should thank them, even though you have no choice in the matter. After all, it is for your own good... trust us.

Marlon Lang
Intermediate Member
Username: Marlonlang

Post Number: 494
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, red cars get more traffic tickets - fact!

Mike Huss
Advanced Member
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 677
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marlon, you are indeed correct. I don't think it's because they are red and stick out though, I think it's because there's this thing with people with red cars that makes them think they have a super coupe or something. What I've noticed is most red cars are two door small things driven by horrible driving young girls.

Joseph, are you sure the movie "Conspiracy Theory" wasn't written by you?

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 4681
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a paunchy 53 year old with a green Civic and a gold CRV. Several of my friends are going through "midlife crisis". One just got divorced and found a young girlfriend...another just spent $60K on a car. Me, I decided both of those were too expensive and too much hassle. I decided to grow my hair out to my waist, like it used to be! :-)
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Paul Hayslett
Advanced Member
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 766
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply there was harm in it. I just couldn't figure out why all the little sports cars I saw were red. I think you provided the answer and Bill corroborated -- WOMEN like red cars and men want to be driving cars that women notice and like. There you go.

As for the extra tickets, maybe it's like a peacock's tail. Scientists think that some male animals intentionally make themselves more attractive to predators as a way of signalling fitness to the ladies. "Hey, look at me! I'm so tough that I can take all these extra risks and still survive!" So maybe the extra tickets are part of the draw.

Ken Anderson
Advanced Member
Username: Ken75

Post Number: 852
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Along with the mid-life crisis sports car is the mid-life crisis Harley-Davidson. I was at the Erie H-D showroom today, and are those babies sweet! Thinking seriously about it...

Ron Siddall
Username: Listerdister

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marlon, red cars get into fewer accidents as well. That is a fact also.

Paul, no problems.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We were in Washington DC this weekend for our son's soccer games. There was a motorcycle "ride" that starts at the Pentagon's parking lot and goes to the Viet Nam Memorial Wall. I heard that 10,000 bikes take part in this each year. All very well and nice. But it occured to me, seeing all these bikes around town, that the typical image of a bike gang member is starting to become the image of an old man.
Listermann Mfg.,Co. www.listermann.com

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, the annual Memorial Day weekend Rolling Thunder rally in Washington attracts more like 100,000 riders. And the demographics of motorcycling are not lost on Harley-Davidson. Their advertising is clearly targeted at those in their 40s and 50s who have the discretionary income.

(Message edited by BillPierce on June 01, 2005)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: