Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Deer Hunters? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

4 Hounds Brewing Co.
Username: 4houndsbc

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any other deer hunters out there?

This Tuesday is firearm deer opener in Michigan and the preparation work has been cutting into my brewing time! October is pretty much shot (I really get into Halloween) and November is a wash too. I will be thankfull to have some time off in December to brew when the garage is below freezing.

Anyone else share my brewing pain?!

Tim Wi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first muzzleloader season just closed here. My wife hunted while I watched our boys. She aced one early the first morning she hunted.

My turn to hunt is this weekend.

We butcher our own, make our own sausage, salami, jerky, etc.

The deer we hope to shoot has to do more with their table-fare potential (read young and fat). We hunt for the food. Although, we would sure be happy to drop the hammer on a nice big 'un. But since we also have a motorized meat-grinder, the big tough ones make nice burger, sausage, etc.

Nothing like sitting down to meal of fresh venison tenderloin, vegetables from our garden, blackberry cobbler and homebrew and homemade wine from our basement brewery.

Good luck to you.

T

4 Hounds Brewing Co.

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear you Tim. I am also a meat hunter. Like my dad always said....you can't eat the horns. But if one big monster with a clothes rack on his head walks out and says "Take Me Remnar!" I will be happy to oblige.

We part out our deer as well. Basically take the roasts, the tenderloins, the straps and then bone the rest. A butcher nearby hooks us up with the sausage/salami/jerky for a reasonable price.

Way to go on a wife that hunts....black powder to boot. My wife is picking up a bow this fall and intends to hunt next year if she can practice enough. Gotta love a woman that puts venison on the table.

Cheers!

Jim
(painfully watching the clock....tomorrow is the day!)

Tim Wi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, a wife that hunts is two-edged sword. Sometimes going hunting is more about the solitude.

But 99% of the time, its great.

Not only does she hunt, but she took her first one with a bow about 10 years ago. Her dream vacation is hunting or fishing in Alaska. 4 trips for us so far.

Oh, and she is a babe, too.

Eat your heart out.

T

Tom Burk
Username: Tomburk

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I am hunting for the shotgun season and maybe the muzzleloader. My wife goes out with me, but takes a camera. She helps with butchering after we get it quartered out. We cut up 4 last year for the freezer. It was too warm for pheasant season this fall second season is more fun hunting in the snow.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A huge buck ran up onto the road outside Hillsboro, Ohio on us yesterday. He appeared to look both ways before crossing. Evolution in action!

OTOH yesterday we saw two dead ones in about 100 feet along US RT 50 outside Cincy.

Dan

--This space is again being left intentionally blank.-

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh wait, there might be someone here from Kansas. My above post is just a theory and it is full of holes. Sorry about that. Unmentioned intelligent beings tell the buck it is OK to cross the road and for that matter told the other two to mess up the fronts of someone's cars.

Dan

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like there aren't enough deer hunters in OH to keep the population down.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's hard to hunt all the Bambis out there these days. They've overrun the suburbs where there's not enough open space for safe hunting but plenty of tasty shrubs and garden greenery. They're even in the cities now. I once saw a terrified doe trying to dodge cars on Cicero Avenue in Chicago. I don't know if she survived or not, or for that matter the frigthened drivers who were trying to avoid her.

(Message edited by BillPierce on November 14, 2005)

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are getting to be a problem here in Cincy and I don't mean just the suburbs. There is a park in town of some 1400 acres. They talk about killing them off in the hundreds there. It seems high to me but what the heck do I know?

Dan

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NJ has the same problem. I have heard that the police are allowed to shoot deer that have been struck by a car or are otherwise endangering lives. Would be nice to be a police officer's buddy in NJ.

I once turned a corner at night and found a giant Deer @ss about 4 feet from my bumber while I was doing about 35 mph. That deer jumped clear over a 6 foot chain linked fense like he was super man. I will never forget that.

Oh....my 12 pound dog is bigger than most deer down here in Florida.

-Doug

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 3788
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got an antelope doe last month, it is already half gone. I've been concentrating my efforts on elk hunting, but haven't seen any yet. Right now i am watching it snow outside my office, so I may go out tomorrow (if I don't drink too much dubbel watching the Eagles-Cowgirls game tonight).

If I see a buck deer near the road I will shoot it, but being an eastern Montana hunter, I will pass on long deer drags. I may try to shoot a deer in eastern Montana over Thanksgiving.

I have far too much game leftover from previous hunting seasons, so it is less of a priority for me right now than brewing is. I would like to get a deer for making into sausage, though.

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deer hunting!!!!! Well I have to say Ive been logging my vertical feet for hte mullies here in the rut,,,, Spent 3 hours within 100 yds of a nice 28" 4x4 yesterday but never got a shot..The closest I got was 4o yds but he heard and saw me in the crunchy 3" fresh snow. He moved off 100 more yards and I never saw him again. But my buddy watched the whole show from 300 yds away. I did have one 61 yd shot but another deer was in the way and thats to far

4 Hounds Brewing Co.

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would love to hunt mulies or antelope but here in MI, it is whitetail. I give you guys credit that hunt vertical landscape. The biggest hills in Michigan wouldn't give you guys a second thought. Flat as a pancake.

I hunt on a tree farm in southeast MI where the deer are plentiful. The land owner trades us a couple of days labor for hunting rights for the year. In this area, the 160 acres private land is worth far more than it's weight in gold. About 6 of us hunt the land but not everyone is there all the time. In this area, to control the population, we are able to get just about as many doe tags as we want. I have one in the freezer and look forward to putting one more in this weekend.

To keep this beer related, I enjoyed a very nice imperial stout with the tenderloins we had for dinner last Saturday. Mmmmmm....venison.

Cheers!

Jim

Jeff Preston
Username: Jeffpreston

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work outside in a railway yard that is about 300 yards from a major malting plant. All winter long there are dozens of deer hanging around eating the spilled grain. I only wish I could hunt at work.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: