Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Arab takeover of American ports < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Ken Anderson
Username: Ken75

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, we can bitch about it. But can anyone come up with a positive take?
George's handlers have him saying that it shows we Americans are fair. Anything else?
I'm thinking maybe it will help keep us on good terms with the UAE. Just the same, my knee-jerk reaction is to say no.

Ken

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too much data a low level person could get a hold of and sell to the unfriendlies for a song and a dance.

Think about it. They can develop odds on which containers will be search and when. They can analyze our patterns of security with simple data like how many and when were containers sent to a staging area for search and which countries they came from. What about the outgoing passengers from ports like Miami? Now they can get thier hands on data that will lead them to know exactly when cruise ships see peak entry along with port staffing of those entries.

I am sure am American company can do this work.

-Doug

Ken Anderson

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bush's handlers claim to have all the bases covered. Surely they have thought out all the scenarios. What, you don't trust that Chertoff guy?

Edit: I feel sorry for George. I think there's a bunch of rats scurrying around in his administration, just below radar, selling out this country for their own financial gains and the gains of others. And these days, it's not about the well-being of the nation. It's about money. MONEY!
Poor George. I don't think he has a clue.

(Message edited by Ken75 on February 21, 2006)

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure that their intelligence on UAE is at least as good as it was about Iraq, probably better or something like that.

--This space is again being left intentionally blank.-

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 4712
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even if an American company is in charge of the ports, what's to prevent the terrorists from infiltrating them as employees and obtaining the same information? Furthermore, in today's international business climate of shell companies and multiple layers of ownership, the notion of national loyalty is largely an illusion. Who do you think are some the major investors in the multinational oil companies?

Doug Pescatore

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure it would be infinitely harder for a terrorist to infiltrate an American company and gather the basic types of data needed to put us at great risk. Since the proposed company is owned by the UAE all it would take is one person in the UAE's government who is sympathetic to Bin Laden's cause to get someone in on the inside of that company. From there the information stream could be devastating to the US.

-Doug

Ken Anderson

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug, indirectly, you are calling Bush's handlers stupid. They've got George spouting that everything is kosher.

Doug Pescatore

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ken, I have said that very same thing for a long long time. Just one man's opinion.

-Doug

Ken Anderson

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do I think George is in the dark and refer often to his "handlers"?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11494815/

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can understand how George was not told about it, why bother? But really causes me to question the competence of the whole gang - still, again - is why wasn't Carl Rove informed of the sale?

Pat Babcock
Username: Pbabcock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm unclear about something - mostly because of the way the press is covering it. Is this a case of a company taking over the ports from another under some contract, or does the British company OWN the ports and are selling them to the Dubai company? That said, why on God's green earth does a foreign power, no matter who, OWN our ports?! How did that come about? It boggles the mind, it do...
Pat Babcock
HBD Chief of Janitorial Services

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think they just manage the ports, I don't believe that they own them, but I could be wrong.

Hey, we need to get used to a lot more foreign presence here soon. Foreign countries are full of US dollars, so much so that they are running out of Treasury notes to buy despite huge deficits so they are starting to eyeball capital investments. This sort of thing happened during the Reagan years for the same reason, large deficits, both trade and budget, but probably not on this scale. What do I know anyway.

Dan

Joe Rovito
Username: Joez8

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I hate the U.A.E as much as the next guy. Two of the 9/11 hijackers were citizens. Their princes hosted a 'hunting' party in 1999 with Bin Laden. I heard the ex-CIA Bin Laden hunter trash the UAE on live radio Friday AM - he made an extremely compelling case.

More details here:

http://www.mastalk.com/mastalk/readOfTheDay.jspx
(link may only be good thru the weekend)

But Dan is actually onto something here. Andy Cassell in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer wrote an interesting article from an economist's standpoint.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/13947113.htm

We are shipping (via our trade deficit) 2 billion $$ per day overseas. This money has to be balanced by foreign ownership of American assets dollar for dollar. Not necessarily a problem if our economy is growing. But if foreign investors get spooked or harrassed over our Xenophobia - or we erect barriers to their investment, the dollar drops against foreign currency, the stock market crashes - we're all screwed.
====================================
The real story is often more complicated than it seems. Or is portrayed via 15 second sound bites. Or bickering guests on nightline. The more I learn about the controversy, the less certain I am there is a "right" answer.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that my president made himself look stupid for presenting an opinion without articulating the reasons or making a compelling case. Then he responded to the uproar by back-pedalling.

Well, at least it drove Cheney's hunting accident out of the spotlight.

This is my first (and hopefully last) post to W.E. I think I need a Golden Monkey to settle down.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: