Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * LCD vs Plasma < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Liquidbreaddiet
Intermediate Member
Username: Liquidbreaddiet

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im in the market for a 37-46 in flat screen and am severely leaning towards an LCD for reasons like the 1080p resolution, lighting conditions etc. What is your take on which is better. Also - has anyone bought anything from www.bestbuyplasma.com - they have incredible deals but i am wondering if they are just too good.
i've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding!!!

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 50" LCD and I love it. I personally don't like plasma TV's as it seems you have to sit too far away from them to get away from pixelization issues. That's just me though as I know a number of people love plasmas.

Don't know anything about that store, but they do have the BBB seal and they are highly rated on pricegrabber.

Liquidbreaddiet
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah i am looking at the new sony 46" xbr2 and all local stores are over 4g's these guys are wayyyyyyy under that.

which monitor do you have?

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Sony Grand Wega KDF-50WE655. Been a good solid unit. It's about a year and a half old now.

Ned Buntline
Intermediate Member
Username: Ned_buntline

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plasma grows more dim over time. In addition, all have a greenish overtone that is inherent in the technology. Go LCD, or better yet, DLP, if you are looking for flat panel technology.

Ned Buntline
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, if you are looking to do some research prior to your purchase, the best place to go is Home Theater Spot at www.hometheaterspot.com

I'm a member of that forum and have learned a lot about home theater technology there. Also, if you become a paying member, you can get access to the tweaks section which will give you the ability to fine tune your equipment via internal unit menus.

Liquidbreaddiet
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 482
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i like dlp but i dont have the room for one. The lcd i think is for me - but now just looking for a reputable online vendor that will honor any problems that may happen

Ned Buntline
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again, I'd try Home Theater Spot. They should be able to lead you to some good suppliers.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am toying with installing a flat screen in a fireplace mantel in the addition's back room. I think that I would like one with speakers that don't straddle the screen so to better make use of the space. Most flats I have seen ( really haven't looked much) don't look this way. This should not be a big deal, right?

--This space is STILL being left intentionally blank.-

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3468
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the Bestbuy site, none have speakers on the sides of the screen!

Ned Buntline
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're looking for a system with surround sound, you'll need to have the center channel speaker. That said, it's better to have them separate from the set anyway. I have two systems in my house. One is a Mitsubishi 65" HDTV rear projection set in the family room. The other is a DLP projector that projects onto an 102" projection screen in a dedicated home theater. The speakers in the Mits are deactivated (there are two stereo speakers built into the bottom). I have a center channel speaker that sits on top of the set, with the other four surrounds mounted around the room on the walls. The speakers for the DLP projector are built into the walls, with the center channel speaker mounted beneath the projection screen.

In surround sound, the dialog track is generally put through the center channel. If you just want stereo, you can go with a simple left/right speaker arrangement on each side of the flat screen.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ned, you think DLP is better than LCD? I've always been of the opinion it was the other way around. I've always thought that LCD has a better picture than DLP.

Ned Buntline
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The biggest drawback of LCD is the relatively low contrast and the "screen door effect." In order for an LCD to make black, the pixel needs to be off. The pixel is not 100% opaque, and some light gets through, making more of a grey pixel than a black one. In addition, the back lighting washes out the pixel even further.

DLP on the other hand uses mirrors, which are solid. When black is required, the mirror is "off" or not reflecting light. You get better contrast as a result. You also get less of a "screen door effect" (the spaces between the LCD pixels that are amplified at high magnifications - this is mostly a problem with projection systems). As far as flat panel to DLP, you will probably get a better picture on a smaller screen with LCD. The cost of LCD goes up substantially, though, as the screen size increases. This also increases the likelihood that you will have dead pixels in your image (almost all LCD panels have a certain number of dead pixels). When you go to larger images that need to be projected, DLP is a far better choice than LCD.

Liquidbreaddiet
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in all my recent viewing especially of the new sony's the screen door effect has been solved. the blacks are dark and rich and the colors are vibrant. also now that lcd are true HD meaning they have 1080p there doesnt seem to be an issue any more..you definitely get a larger set for the money with a dlp but if you are looking for a flat panal i now believe lcd is the way to go. most plasma and lcds last year only had 40000:1 contrast ratio. the sony xbr2's and xbr3's have 600,000:1 now and the picture is wicked. only problem is the equally wicked pricetag.

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member
Username: Sampsosm

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought DLP was just a type of LCD for some reason?

Oh well, don't really know much about the technology behind it but we have a toshiba 53" DLP and the picture is really, really good in HD.

My only problem is that DLP, and other projection screens look worse than a high quality tube television when viewing a regular (non HD) signal.

dhacker
Intermediate Member
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can tell you the LCD's put off WAY less heat than a comparable plasma. I was shocked at how warm they run.

Ned Buntline
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, DLP actually uses a pretty facinating method of synchronizing light transmitted through a spinning color wheel to rapidly moving reflecting mirrors.

Color Wheel

The mirrors are mounted on pivots:

b

that vibrate quickly as the light passes over them, transmitting the color reflected onto the projection screen as so:

c

If you look at a magnified view of the chips, you will see that LCD pixels have a wide space between pixels that gives what's known as a "screen door effect" when magnified.

d

Manufactures have improved on this a bit, but it still shows pretty badly when projected onto large-sized screens. DLP demonstrates this problem as well, but generally only at VERY high magnifications.

(Message edited by Ned Buntline on October 07, 2006)

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member
Username: Sampsosm

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhhh, thanks Ned, that explains it well. I sold audio/video equipment while in college, but definately have no idea whats going on when it comes to the new techmology.

Joshua Coman
Username: Crazyjae

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma which is HDTV capable. My advice is to shop around and buy what you like.

And don't buy anything from Best Buy (the big box retailer -- not the site you posted). I went to a electronics store and bought my Panasonic. I paid $1600 -- Best Buy was charging $4,500. This was a year ago when my model was first rolled out. Best Buy is still selling it at that price.

A word of caution: The one thing I have found, that irritates me a bit, is that the cable companies (and the sattelite companies) ream you for the HD service and it's limited service to boot. I live in the Bay Area and I'm getting a total of like 15 channels in HD. Quite disappointing.

I switched to Comcast from DirecTV only becuase the HD TiVo unit was almost a grand. Comcast was offering an HD DVR for an extra $10 a month, plus the $10 for access to the HD channels. If I had it to do over, I would have stuck with DirecTV and continued watching everything in low def. Seriously, when you start watching things in 16:9, even if it's low def, it's good.

And another tip. Don't install it above a fire place or up high. That's about the dumbest thing everyone seems to do. I simply cannot understand why everyone does this. It's a very expensive piece of equipment and putting it above a fire place subjects it to a fluctuation in heat. Not to mention the strain you put on your neck to look up, above the fire place at the TV rather than looking across at your TV.

(Message edited by crazyjae on October 07, 2006)

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We were considering buying a fireplace mantel ( we have four real ones in the old part of the house) and just screwing it to the wall with the TV taking the place of the fire. We thought that this would go well with the "old house look."

Dan

Joshua Coman

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

I wasn't saying anything about what you had planned or was thinking of doing. I hadn't even noticed what you said when I responded.

My wife is a furniture store manager and because of that, I know quite a few interior decorators/designers. Every time we go to one of their parties, the first thing they want to talk about is one of their projects. And every time, I swear to god, the first photo in their portfolio is a damn plasma above a fireplace. I'm not talking about one person, or a few houses, I'm talking about 10 or 15 people and probably 50 or more houses.

They always gloat about how it's such a great thing and so good for their business -- to have a thin TV to mount above a fireplace mantel. I'm sure chiropractors and the electronics manufacturers think the same thing.

Ron Siddall
Username: El_cid

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LDP generates a lot of heat and that heat is dissapated with a fan. That fan can be heard at low volume levels so that is something to consider.

We are looking at the plasma tv and will buy our at Costco. Even if you buy it on-line, you can return them back to the store and they will refund your shipping chargers. Costco is a great deal.
This space open to interpretation

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have DirecTV and the HD package. I agree the extra $9.99 charge is insane considering the original plan was to have digital tv as the standard in 2006. (What is it now, 2010?) I know all digital doesn't mean HD necessarily, but it basically does.

I recently got the DirecTivo HD box (HR10-250) and I am in the minority by the sounds of it, but I absolutely HATE it (FWIW Joshua, I got it for free directly from DTV). I learned DVR's on the DirecTV R15 (SD) so I'm used to that interface. There are a couple things I like about the Tivo box, but the painfully slow guide and a few other things are too much for me to take.

Fortunately (for me in the end) my Tivo stopped making the daily call before I even had it two months, so it is being replaced with the brand new DirecTV DVR (HR20-700) which should be at my house today or tomorrow. Now at least both of my DVR's will be similar as far as the UI is concerned.

The advance technical support person I worked with said her team leader jokingly said they should get a quote from me saying how I liked the DTV UI better, because 99% of their callers complain about it because they were used to the DTivo UI. I guess it's all in what you are used to. Plus I figured there is no use sticking to the Tivo unit when it is going to be gone within a couple years (for DirecTV anyway).

Just my buck-two-fifty on HD DVR's.

Joshua Coman

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,

Maybe because I live in the Bay Area electronics are cheaper than at big boxes.

I bought my Panasonic TH-42PX60U HDTV last October for $1,499 (It was $1,700'ish out the door after tax) from an electronics store in the San Jose area. I had actually been shopping for that specific TV and had priced Best Buy, Costco, Tiger Direct, Circut City, etc. and they were all selling the same set for double (sometimes triple) at that time. I would suggest, if you live in a metro area, shopping a local electronics retailer only if for the fact that they sometimes have better deals.

Mike: Digital isn't HD, although the quality is much higher than a regular box.

One thing I can suggest Liquidbreaddiet is that if you do end up with an HD TV, get an HDMI cable while you are at it. A standard S-Video cable doesn't cut it and the TV, or at least mine, won't actually display a 1080i/p image without it. It will be digital and it will be in 16:9, but, not HD. When you go to the settings you'll notice you can't shift it to display in 780 or 1080 -- that's because you need that stupid HDMI cable. They vary in price as do their quality. Research the cable before you buy one -- the price variation is huge (my local stores varied between $30 and $500 for a a 6 foot cable)

You really got the HD TiVo box free from Direct? Wow. I need to check about switching back. I switched in April only because Comcast promised me cable modem with 6mbps up/down and cable with an HDTV DVR with one premium for $100 a month for the first year. It was a great deal since I was paying $150 between the two.

That is until I got the box. I have the Motorola DC6412 DVR. It is the worst ever! It freezes, doesn't record properly, has bad menus, is slow, crashes and doesn't have an easy way to switch between screens. I miss my TiVO box. You could switch from a channel that was recording to another and it would automatically change you over to a different tuner -- with the Motorola box, you have to actually switch tuners or it will prompt you to stop recording or abort the action (a bit annoying). It also isn't as intuitive in that if you hit record during a program that has been running, it starts recording from the time you say record, not from the beginning of the program. I hate the Motorla box. It's the worst ever.

As I understand, the big switch over from low-res to HD is supposed to take place in 2007, as is a new method of picture encoding which may be a problem for some TV owners at first. From what I understand, all the older HD boxes/recievers and sets with built in tuners will be obsolete and require a decoding box. I considered buying just a 42" monitor because of the protocol switch, but, I figure that new boxes will likely just pop up and decode the new signal so all will be good.

As I understand if from some of my clients (I work in a part of the tech industry), the reason for the obsolecense is that everyone is supposed to be shifting to a new protocol. I don't remember if it's MP4, or what...

(Message edited by crazyjae on October 10, 2006)

(Message edited by crazyjae on October 10, 2006)

Liquidbreaddiet
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ned - I went to the site you suggested - posted a question in the newbie section and tried to search for online retailer information. but couldn't find anything and no one has responded :-(
anyway - if you have any suggestions please let me know

Ron Siddall
Username: El_cid

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joshua, I live by Stockton. I guess I like Costco's return policy....

Thanks for the info on that cable. I would not have known that.

We are going to get a 50" Plasma in the next couple of months. Not sure which one yet.

Costco sell a HD tv kit for about $80. Not sure if that includes the HDMI cable though.
This space open to interpretation

Liquidbreaddiet
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey guys - what is the difference between LCoS and true lcd? apparently that is the differnce between the sony xbr2 and the xbr3

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RE: The HDMI cable Joshua refers to, I agree totally. At a minimum use the component inputs, but you really should get the HDMI cable.

BEST.PLACE.EVER. for cables - http://bluejeanscable.com/

Their quality is topnotch and prices are significantly less than the ripoffs like Monster and others.

Joshua Coman

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,

It actually took me a couple months before I figured the HDMI cable thing out. I kept trying to shift into 1080 and couldn't. I figured it was the channel, or perhaps my cable company, as I assumed that the S-Video cable was capable of carrying the data. There was nothing in my owner's manual that indicated otherwise. It wasn't until I hooked up a new XBox 360 that I found out what was wrong.

Just FYIY: There's also an RCA cable that you can buy that is capable of carrying HD programming. I settled on the HDMI becuase the price was the same and the RCA setup had five wires versus the single HDMI cable.

I did look at that Costco HD kit when I bought my cables and it does include the cables -- the one I saw was actually an RCA cable bundle which was the only reason I didn't buy it there.

Liquidbreaddiet
Advanced Member

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ended up getting a 40" xbr 2 from sony and benefited from the local b&m price wars. Saved so much money that i got a bitchen new dvd upconverter http://www.oppodigital.com/?partner=111 I have compared it at 1080p vs my old standard dvd player and it is unbelievable. also mike you mention bluejeanscable.com check out http://www.monoprice.com they are super inexpensive.
"If I'm not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I've since learned about monoprice. They have some really good prices there too.

Nathan Eddy
Username: Nathan_eddy

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DLP's mirror technology produces "rainbow effects" in some models. When your eye darts around to different portions of the screen (during fast on-screen motion, for example), many people see a rainbow blur. I can certainly see it, and it's annoying. After pointing it out, my wife could see it, too. Newer models have faster spinning mirrors, which reduces this effect to negligible levels.

If you're going big (larger than 50"), DLP and plasma are the best values. However, many people go larger than is optimal for their viewing space. Many are simply sitting too close to a very large screen, defeating the purpose of HD because you can see the pixels up close. Smaller screens look better up close. (I forgot the exact formula on how far back you should sit per given screen size, I'll get back to you all on that one.)

Plasma burn-in and fade has become much less of an issue with recent models. LCD black levels are becoming better, but still not as good as plasma and DLPs. LCDs are brighter, so if you can't control the lighting in your home theater, consider LCDs. Plasmas have a wider viewing angle than either technology, so if you'll have many people watching from the sides (having people over for a game, etc.), then make sure you step to the side when looking at a TV at the store; watch for how much the brightness and colors drop off. LCDs have a limited viewing angle. LCDs also produce blur during fast motion scenes, though response times are getting faster for newer models. Make sure to get a system with at least 8ms response time. If you'll be playing games on this monitor, you may want faster.

If you don't need a very big screen, and you don't care about wall-mounting or a boxy shape, the good old CRT cannot be beat in terms of response time, black levels, contrast ratio, and viewing angle. (Yes, you can get HD CRTs). Cathode ray tube performance is still the Holy Grail which LCD, plasma, and DLP is struggling to recreate.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the chart I typically refer to:

Suggested viewing distances for HDTV-capable TVs.

Screen size Viewing distance range
30" 3.75-6.25 feet
34" 4.25-7 feet
42" 5.25-8.75 feet
50" 6.25-10.5 feet
56" 7-11.75 feet
62" 7.75-13 feet
70" 8.75-14.75 feet

I'm interested in the new LED DLP technology. That should be fairly cheap by the time I'm looking for a new HDTV. Supposedly it gets rid of the rainbows.

Oh, and FWIW I sit at 10' from my 50" LCD. That's 10' nose to screen.

(Message edited by mikhu on December 08, 2006)

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6018
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We bought a 50" plasma HDTV at a holiday blowout sale at one of the big box stores (they advertised only three in stock and I had to show up early and wait in line for an hour before they opened, in order to get the last one). I have to say we're very happy with the quality so far, especially for the price we paid. At least for the one we bought, it compares very favorably with LCD. It fills the better part of our living room wall, but it's a long room and we sit about 9 feet away. I agree about the recommendation to use the HDMI input and cable.

Although I don't have a lot of free time, it has increased the amount of TV I watch. I admit I've been fascinated by some of the programs broadcast in true HD, such as on Discovery HD. Movies on DVD, however, are a little disappointing. I suppose I'll wait for the price of HD-DVD players to come down and for more titles to be available. LBD, do you think the DVD upconverter makes a difference? It seems a little like digital smoke and mirrors to me.

Liquidbreaddiet
Advanced Member

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill well with plasma you are capable of getting 720p for your HD. There are many dvd upconverters out there but none have I witnessed do it as well as the OPPO I listed above. Oppo has cheaper models which I assume will recreate hd as well as the high end model. The only reason I bought the high end model is that it is capable of 1080p which my lcd is made for. It is amazing the difference between sd dvd and upconverted. For the first couple movies I would watch a scene on my sd dvd and then put it into the oppo - and would be blown away. It is really cool. The oppo also comes with a free hdmi cable.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 6037
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LBD, my plasma screen is capable of 1080i. There is a rather high-end audio/video dealer near me. I might take a look at one of their upconverting DVD players in the store. Of course if I buy it I'll find a cheaper source. I'm sure that happens to them all the time.

Liquidbreaddiet
Advanced Member

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cool that you plasma does 1080i. I have been interested in trying a test based on native resolution. as i am sure you are aware 1080i is actually an interlacing of 2 passes of 540 rows of pixels. 720p and 1080p are a single progressive scan of the pixels. Im wondering, to the decerning eye (not saying mine is but i am pretty picky) would i notice a difference between the 720p and 1080i? I would be inclined to believe that a single pass of the screen rather than 2 interlacing passes would give me a better picture even at a lower dpi. Maybe i will try. My lcd can do the whole gambit of settings. either way though your picture will be amazing in hi def compared to sd and depending on how your monitor and the dvd player you choose handles the upconversion will be the ultimate deciding factors. here is a white paper written about the subject from the oppo site. http://www.oppodigital.com/Getting-Most-out-of-DVD-on-HDTV-Display.html i can honestly say i have no regrets whatsoever about paying 100 more for the oppo than the sony i was looking at.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LBD, from what I've seen 1080 lines interlaced is still better than 720 progressive. IMHO of course. It may be two 2 passes but it is still 360 more lines.

Bill, you are so very right. The 480p on DVD is so disappointing after watching anything 720 and up.

Liquidbreaddiet
Advanced Member

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike i am in full agreement with the 480p vs 720 and up. You are most likely right about the 1080i vs 720p too but i think it would be an interesting comparison. specifically when dealing with text on a screen. im wondering if the progressive scan vs the interlaced scan would be cleaner (less artifacting). I will try to test it this weekend and hopefully capture some stills with my digital camera to see a difference.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 6039
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LBD, let us know the results of your comparison. To my eye the image at 1080i is a little sharper than at 720p, but I don't consider myself an expert.

Liquidbreaddiet
Advanced Member

Post Number: 546
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was not able to capture proper stills of the the tv but can report back that to my eye there is not much if any noticible difference between 1080p and 1080i. I am sure to a professional there is. There is however a huge difference between 720 and either of the 1080s. I definitely notice a difference between my old dvd player and the oppo upconverting dvd player as well.

if i ever figure out how to take low light stills i will post the results

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: