Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Oregon Beer Taxes < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Denny, how many of your local micros produce over 200k barrels? This is gonna hurt.

OREGON DRINKERS FACE HIGH BEER TAX
Oregon beer drinkers could be facing new taxes as a result of last month's elections. Democrats took control of the state legislature for the first time in 18 years and some are already talking about increasing the beer tax for the first time since 1976. "With a Democratic House, Senate and governor, I think we can pass the bill," said state Sen. Bill Morrisette in a story in the Eugene Register-Guard. Morrisette previously has been thwarted in several attempts to boost the tax. He wants to raise the levy on a 12-ounce glass from three-quarters of a penny to 10 1/2 cents - boosting it from one of the lowest rates in the country to the highest. Morrisette's proposal exempts breweries that produce fewer than 200,000 barrels per year from the new tax.
http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-003033.php

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't believe there is any longer a brewery in Oregon that produces more than 200,000 barrels annually. In fact, there are only a couple of craft breweries in the US (Sierra Nevada, New Belgium) with that kind of production. So essentially it's a tax on out-of-state beer. Governments are always looking for sources of revenue, but an increase of 1300 percent in the beer tax seems excessive by all but the most extreme standards. I'm guessing that cooler heads will prevail in the legislature; after all, Democrats are beer drinkers, too.

dhacker
Advanced Member
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it passes, I would expect a flood of newbies on this board!

Patrick C.
Advanced Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm suprised to learn that Republicans controlled the Oregon state house for nearly 20 years.

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point Patrick, I didn't think of that. Isn't Oregon full of hippies like Denny?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: