Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * My birds Xmass present to me! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This morning I found that my two oldest racing pigeons have started to nest! They are a bit young for this, ( they are like teenagers ) so when the two eggs come, I will remove one to only allow them to raise a single chick, at least for the first time or so. Eventually I want to get my kit ( flock ) to about 15 - 20 from the current 7 so I can absorb the inevitable losses.

I am happy!

Dan

--This space is STILL being left intentionally blank.-

Miker
Advanced Member
Username: Miker

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our local paper had a (very) short review of the new book, "Pigeons" that I thought you might be interested in, Dan.

http://www.andrewblechman.com/index.html

P.S. I think you should start raising Passenger Pigeons.

(Message edited by miker on December 26, 2006)

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6116
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's interesting that the last surviving passenger pigeon died in 1914 at the Cincinnati Zoo.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, her name was "Martha" and she is still there - stuffed.

"Animal Planet" had a real nice British show on the pigeon's homing ability. I have been in contact with Dr. Sheldrake who was featured on the show. He is a bit of a crank but we share an interest in mobile pigeon lofts like those used in war. I need to e-mail him my copies of US Army Signal Corps Field Manuals regarding pigeons. Cool stuff if you are into it.

Dan

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6120
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right, Dan, I'm almost afraid to ask for fear I will be deluged with more information than I want, but are all pigeons imbued with the homing instinct, even the ubiquitous urban "flying rats"?

aleman
Username: Aleman

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3862
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The urban "flying rats" are probably largely desended from lost homing / racing pigeons so, to one degree or another, they do have the homing instinct. Though you have to keep in mind that the military / racing breeder was / is not interested in birds with "average" homing instinct. They only want to select and breed birds at the high end of the instinct's range. If you let nature select pairs, other considerations probably drive the instinct to an average which is to a racer useless. In all my reading about breeding the birds, nobody has ever suggested trapping a feral bird for any purpose.

Belgium is the home of the sport.

Dan

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out http://www.belgianexperts.com/pigeons.php

Dan

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 4504
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pigeon Dan
Get rid of me from the B&V! Send me one 3-L double magnum of Double Bastard.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 4505
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry...that was fat and mean, and in defiance of the Christmas truce...but today's "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip was just too timely with this thread going on!
Get rid of me from the B&V! Send me one 3-L double magnum of Double Bastard.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3867
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chumley, there is no need for gloves in the handling of pigeons. I am unsure about how they might react to beer.

Dan

John Jacox
Username: Johnj

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody that's looked at a statue might disagree about there being no need for gloves!

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 01:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, it is one of the first things that you get over.

Dan

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see all these flying rats under our new highway bridges around here and can't help but to wonder how much damage they do to the cement and steel and can see the mess they make. I also wonder how good they would taste. I mean they look like a fat dove.
Rip them lips!

Ron Siddall
Username: El_cid

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mmmmm, roasted squab. Tastes just like chicken.
This space open to interpretation

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This afternoon, NPR's "Science Friday" will have something on about pigeons. It is likely the book mentioned above, if I had to guess. I am on the road, but should be able to pick it up on their site later.

Dan

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 3878
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it has been a week and we still have no eggs. Further I am told that the cock of such a young pair can miss, producing infertile eggs. . .

On the positive side, they are still sharing a perch! If nothing else, both on the same perch causes their butts to hang over the side so I don't have so much poop to scrape off. You take what you can get.

Dan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: