Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * A nation of morons < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member
Username: Heu_brewer

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OCALA, FL--A 10-year old Ocala girl brought her lunch to school and a small kitchen knife to cut it. She now faces a felony charge after being
arrested. The school and the sheriff's office disagree on the reason for the arrest. School officials say the 5th grader was brown-bagging it. She brought a piece of steak for her lunch, but she also brought a steak knife. That's
when deputies were called. It happened in the cafeteria at Sunrise Elementary School. The
10-year-old used the knife to cut the meat.

"She did not use it inappropriately. She did not threaten anyone with it. She didn't pull it out and brandish it. Nothing of that nature,"
explained Marion County School Spokesman Kevin Christian.

But a couple of teachers took the utensil and called the sheriff. When deputies arrived, they were unable to get the child's parents on the
phone, so they arrested her and took her to the county's juvenile
assessment center.

"And we didn't handcuff her or treat her like a criminal. But, we took her to the assessment center to be assessed," said Capt. James Pogue, Marion County Sheriff's Office.

School officials said it doesn't matter what the knife was being used for. They said they had no choice.

"Anytime there's a weapon on campus, yes, we have to report it and we aggressively report it because we don't want to take any chances, regardless," Christian said.

But the sheriff's office said the extreme measures in what some may say
was a harmless incident had to do with school policy, not theirs.

"But once we're notified, we have to take some type of action," Pogue explained.

The student now faces a felony charge for the possession of a weapon on school property and the principal suspended her for ten days. The
parents of the girl could not be reached for comment.

The sheriff's office has turned the case over to the State Attorney's Office.

I don't even know where to begin. The teachers are morons and the principal is an idiot, or are the teachers idiots and the pricpal is a moron.

Sheriff Barney Fife must really be proud.

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, this kind of story is neither new, nor isolated:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/09/28/wallet.suspension.02

The truly sad aspect of these stories lies in the fact that these are the people we trust with the education of our children. This is a shining example why we need school choice now!

They need to ban all pencils from school as they can be sharpened and used as weapons. Teachers should no longer be allowed to drive their cars to school as they can also be used as weapons. Children should no longer be allowed to wear shoes as they can take them off and use them as weapons. Ban all paper because in the wrong hands it can be used to inflict vicious paper cuts.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 5203
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These are all fine examples of bimodal or "black and white" thinking. The real world is far more analog than digital.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6586
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It wasn't a "weapon", it was a utensil! Sheesh....

Belly Buster Bob
Username: Canman

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

problem would not have existed had the parent precut the steak

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

surprised noone thot "stupid parents...send steak knife with 10 yr old to school"
I did

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

every stupid rule has a past stupid person that caused it to be there.
I dont think "no knives" is a stupid rule. Personally I think it should be common sense but obviously that's a stretch. I wouldn't even think of sending my 10 yr old to school with a steak knife. Christ...I wouldn't even send a btter knife,I'd butter the bread beforehand

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6587
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BBB, I agree with all your points, but the girl didn't brandish the knife or threaten anyone with it. Instead of calling the police, it seems a reasonable approach would have been to ask her to hand it over, call the parents, and read THEM the riot act.

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member
Username: Sampsosm

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What other choice does the school have but to ban all knives period? I agree that it seems crazy, but in this day and age the school has to protect itself from a lawsuit.

We don't really know the specifics on the area, but with the deadbeat parents we have in this country kids are just completely out of hand, and I can see a stabbing happening with a knife that a kid brought to "cut a steak with".

And I agree that a pencil can be a weapon too, but when the school system is sued for neglegince which would convince a jury they were not negligent, letting a kid have a steak knife or a pencil? Seriously---WAKE UP.

Ron Siddall
Advanced Member
Username: El_cid

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So why hit the 10 year old girl with a felony instead of addressing the issue with her parents?

I guess in this society where you do not have to tell the parents that their minor kid is getting an abortion, you certainly cannot hold them responsible in this situation either.

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 452
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, equal treatment. The school felt they needed a policy in place to discourage knives being brought to school. Without knowing the details of the school, it's hard to know if this policy is reasonable or not. As far as taking it up with the parents, fine with me.

I'm sure somewhere in America a 10 year has stabbed someone.

If they don't charge the 10 year old with a felony, what happens when a 16 year old brings a steak knife to school and is charged with a felony? You guessed it the school system is sued, and made out to be either racist, sexist, or morons.

It's a sign of the times my friends....

By the way what 10 year is bringing a steak to school for lunch? Thats a little strange. And don't parents pack lunches for kids that age????

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I guess in this society where you do not have to tell the parents that their minor kid is getting an abortion, you certainly cannot hold them responsible in this situation either."

Believe me, I agree 100%, parenting seems almost non-existent today. I feel they are responsible, the school systems hands are tied though.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5204
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches rarely need to be cut up before consumption.

Ron Siddall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 517
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hit a 10 year old girl with a felony that has not obviously been taught right from wrong and you have a case of two wrongs making a third wrong - the destruction of another child.

They do not have the mental ability to process what is happening in most cases. That is why we don't allow them to drink, drive or vote.

The school system's hands are tied through their own policy making. That is a self inflicted wound.

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, in reading the story, the school called the police. Thats just CYA right? Then the police are the ones that arrested her, because they couldn't get ahold of a parent? To me the fact she is being charged with the felony is because of the sheriffs office, looks like the school just called them because they didn't know what to do.

Hard to say really. But really you can't blame the school, it's the violent society we live in. We truly are our own worst enemy.

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I'd still be in the pokey if today's "Interpretations" were the standard when I was in school.

I couldn't begin to count the times I farted in school, which by today's definition might be equated with carrying a concealed weapon onto school grounds.

. . makes about as much sense.

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also remember that this is the interpretation of a real story by a make believe media. Chances are there was no arrest but simple removal of the student. The chances of there actually being a felony charge tends to lean towards "there may be more to the story that we don't know"

Ron Siddall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, it is impossible to have a "nation of morons." The definition of a moron is having an IQ of between 51 - 70 on the IQ scale. Since any singular measure of IQ is a measurement against the population as a whole as a percent, not all of the population can be classified as a moron. By definition, some folks must be outside the moron range for the moron range to even exist. In fact, morons exist only because some smarter people exist. Where those smarter people where in this case is unknown.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At heart of almost all stories like this you'll find that something was "mandatory". School officials are required to report all infractions, no matter how minor, without exception. The cops are then required to respond in some way. Mandatory minimum responses then kick in. The people on the front lines aren't given the option of using common sense or any sort of discretion. Everything is scripted in advance by lawmakers.

Mandatory reporting. Mandatory responses. Mandatory minimum sentencing. They all sound like good ideas until something like this comes along. Then they look stupid. When combined with "no exceptions" policies, the results become even more bizarre. Like life sentences for non-violent criminals under poorly-written 3-strikes laws.

I have a friend who is an ER doc. He has a long list of mandatory reporting requirements, especially for anything that might possibly be child abuse. He isn't allowed any discretion or common sense. So he ends up calling DCF on good parents who's kids are in no danger at all. DCF is then required to respond, both immediately and with follow-up visits to the house. The are stretched way too thin already, so, while they are checking on good parents, kids who really need their help don't get seen. But no one is willing to allow an ER doc to use his own discretion.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5205
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Black and white" thinking patterns.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 8230
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with BBB, and I suspect Paul H. is correct that the school was forced to notify the police who were forced to inform the prosecutor's office. Now here is where there is likely to be some discretion exercised. I find it hard to believe that any prosecutor who wanted to keep his or her job would bring adult felony charges against a 10-year-old girl for this infraction. Very likely she will face a brief suspension, and that will be the end of it.

The story is indeed absurd, but it has so much the smell of sensationalism about it that I don't see how the actual case can go much farther. I'm sure it's already a staple of the talk shows. Like the tale of the woman burned by McDonald's coffee, it may be on its way to becoming the stuff of legend.

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zero Tolerance = Zero Reason.

All the authority figures in this situation have made profoundly ignorant and stupid decisions. The girl is not completely innocent either, she was wrong to bring the steak knife to school. However, the Police should have NEVER been involved. The only thing calling the police did was traumatize this poor little girl who made a dumb mistake.

We send our children to school to learn things like critical thinking, logic, and reason. What have we taught this little girl? We taught her to live in constant fear of the government. We taught her that she no longer lives in a free society. We taught her that your every move is being watched, and you better not make the mistake of carrying out normal behavior in public. The system has failed this little girl, and what could have been a learning opportunity, has been tragically twisted into what will be a traumatic experience she will carry with her for the rest of her life.

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 2979
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob...goin a bit off the Wall there? (pun intended)
I do believe they taught the girl not to bring a knife to school. Nothing more.
For interest, I asked my own 10 year old if she could take a knife to butter er bread at school and her answer was "knives are not allowed at school". Nw I live in a very low crime area without any need to expect a stabbing or such and it is known here not to bring a knife to school. As said earlier, there is probably much mre to the story than the media suggests

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say I am accurately reflecting on the situation. It is the idiots in that school system who went off the wall.

This girl should have been punished, no doubt about that. But to make this a Police matter is unconscionable.

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob, she's victim of a blanket policy nothing more. I think the girl will be OK, as long as the parents do a reasonable job of explaining everythig to her. Maybe they'll pack her lunch from now on?

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't Central Europe have a few "Blanket Policies" about 65 years ago?

Tom Callen
Username: Tc2642

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Err, Bob, I think comparing this school to Nazi Germany may be going a little bit too far. I doubt the school had any say over it. My mates a journo and I would agree that this is trying to make a story out of not very much, must have been a slow day at the office!

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol...yeah, I knew I was taking it too far when I posted it. I was feeling a little silly and should have used an emoticon at the end of the comment. It would have been funnier in conversation.

Jason Bentley
Username: Pacoustic

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shcool administrators that decided on a policy that requires police notification for any of these such infractions should have had a bit more common sense and barring that they should immediately review the policy and think what if this was my child. Unfortunately in most states in order for a police officer to hold anyone minor or otherwise they are required to perform a formal arrest. Some states require the person to be hancuffed even if they are not a threat thankfully that didn't happen hear. The parents should have read the school handbook I'm sure this rule and multitudes of others are in there. I've read my niece's and nephew's just in case I have to take care of them. It's a hillarious read I think I'd still be in the pokey for the things I did in school.

I think the whole situation is horse puckey. It breaks my heart to see the way the current school system has gone. Maybe the girl shouldn't have had a knife at school, but I have carried a pocket knife since I was 12 and I carried it at school. Heck in deer season a few of use would bring our shotguns and lock them up in the school office and lock the shells in our trucks. That way we could head out right after school and get another couple hours hunting in. By the time my brother went through high school he was suspended for having a standard screwdriver in his locker because it could be used as a weapon. I suggested he tell them to take his books away because he could do more damage with them than a screwdriver. He told me he would, but they would probably charge him with threatening a teacher.

To put this in a time line I'm 29 and my brother is 20 so it wasn't that many years ago that I was in school and I lived in western Illinois at the time. Erie, IL to be exact. I've moved around a lot since then and I still think it's the nicest place around especially during harvest.

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reading some of these posts I believe some of you really have gone off the deep end.

Please read Denny's post again and again and again

"It wasn't a "weapon", it was a utensil! Sheesh...."

That sums it up, it was being used as a utensil, in the correct setting.

Scissors found in many school systems when used in the correct setting are a "utensil" for cutting paper ect. When used in the "incorrect" setting they are weapons.

This is what we must teach children not "knives are not allowed". Neither the child nor the parents should be punnished. Our society is being punnished and so is our common sence.

Yes it is a Nation of Morons beacuse just a few years ago people were a lot smarter than they must be now.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I carried a pocket knife all through high school, too. We all did.

I also did a lot of light carpentry for the drama and music groups whenever they had productions. I wonder how they get that stuff done now. There sure are a lot of "potential weapons" in a carpenter's toolbox. I suppose they hire union carpenters to do it, thereby incurring needless costs and denying the students the chance to learn some practical skills.

I sound like an old curmudgeon and I'm still not 45 yet! I'm scared to think what I'll sound like when I'm 70.

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a knife used as a utensil is not the issue..the issue is thatit is a knife...period.. and knives are not allowed. If it was not to be used in aggression by the girl, what about the boy/girl beside her?? The school is simply acting in the best interest of "all" the kids and staff.
Rules are put in place and must be followed, if judgement at the lowest level is allowed then it is not a rule anymore and the safety of all is left to someone not necessarily qualified to judge that threat
I recently responded to a call at a nearby highscool for a grenade brought to school. They evacuated the entire school, the grenade was clealy marked inert....was it a bad move to evacuate??? No

Tom Burk
Username: Tomburk

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I teach Building Trades and I issue my students knives, hammers etc. They can't have pocket knives.

A lot of people I meet say they would be scared to death working on a job site with 15-20 high school students armed with knives, nail guns and other tools. I'm never concerned until they keep telling of all the bad things the kids could do to me.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 8235
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beavis and Butthead with a nail gun...I admit that's an image that frightens me.

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about scissors? What about forks? What about sharpened pencils, ballpoint pens??????

These could be used as a weapon just like the knife.

What are you teaching banning eating utensils?

There is no arguing the "what if" scenario?

Lets ban bicycles at school because "what if" a student was killed on school grounds becasue they fell off

Lets ban pencils becasuse "what if" a pencil was used to stab a student in the eye

Lets ban scissors becasue "what if" a student is stabbed during art class

Lets ban eating at school because "what if" they forced food down another childs throat and killed them

Let ban... because "what if"....

Lets ban all brewing equipment because "what if" it was used improperly and killed you, your family, and your neighbors

Belly Buster Bob

Post Number: 2983
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the difference is HEU...
let's ban knives because people get stabbed with them....a true statement. A knife in a school is not a what if, niether is a gun. You're taking it way outside rational thought into the realm of pure argument for argument sake.
The solution to this entire dilemma is not to send knives to school. What rational parent would???
You people kill me with your "what ifs" and your "why not this" etc etc etc. The fact is, pencils have not yet been viewed as a threat in our schools, knives have. Bicycles have not been viewed as a threat in our schools, knives have.

"Lets ban eating at school because "what if" they forced food down another childs throat and killed them"
Well....not sure I even want to comment on that one. Silly is the first word that comes to my mind. Sounds like the ramblings of a 10 yr old instead of a rational adult cap[able of protecting the safety and interest of said 10 yr old. No actual offence meant but come on...reread your post

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seriously, who's gone of the deepend??? ;-)

Pencils and scissors are items that are used in education.

Give me one reason a knife is a necessary educational tool for a ten year old!

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uhhh, HEU was using absurdity to prove a point. Apparently, it worked too well.

Ryan Messenger
Username: Rem

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds to me that the school district and the police overreacted. However, I find it interesting that a number of people are saying that we need to introduce reason to the circumstances in the form of situation-specific judgment, and not use clear cut rules that say if you bring a knife to school this is what is going to happen, no matter what. Those same people are making judgments without knowing the whole story. If you argue that teachers and school staff should not employ a black and white assessment, then you need to be privy to the whole story to make any judgment, and I donít think any of us are.

Moreover, as a teacher I wholly understand a school policy that stipulates that no knives are allowed in school, period. Sometimes it may be hard to make a judgment call if a knife brought to cut meat might also be used to cut students. Everyone here must realize that a knife brought to the lunchroom for any purpose can be used for a different purpose than originally intended, by the student who brought the knife or by another student. Following the same lines, should we still allow students to bring guns to school to go hunting after school? Those students are using the guns properly and do not intend to use them to harm anyone. However, then we put teachers and school staff in the position of determining why a student brings a weapon to school, which can be difficult at best. We also provide students who do mean harm to others the ability to access weapons for nefarious purposes.

Lastly, dhacker, rest assured that farting is not grounds for suspension, whether concealed or not.

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

. . . It's only a matter of time!

David C Johnson
Username: Daveofsherwood

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Florida.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: