Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * NFL Playoffs < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just watched the Titans go down in flames.

Ya know what really pisses me off? Having a great defense who has held the opposition to few points on numerous occasions, but then on the offensive side of the ball, hanging your hat on a guy who is completely one dimensional and can't consistently throw a pass completion to save his life. And why, you may ask, would you leave such a player in the game???

Because you're paying him millions of dollars.

Vince Young is a joke and an embarrassment to all the fans who would root for the Titans . .

Well there's always next year . . and if the Titans keep playing Vince Young, that will be a recurring theme.

Kerry . . I wish you would have had a chance to play. But big business won't allow it.

Steve Funk
Intermediate Member
Username: Tundra45

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd have to agree with you. Vince Young has a lot of talent but he just isn't consistent enough for NFL great leader status. I did think the Titans would lose to SD just as they did a few weeks ago.

Go Seahawks! If they make it to the big game again this year, I hope they only have to face an eleven man team this time. But at least it wont be against the Steelers.

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member
Username: Sampsosm

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was the guy they drafted to lead the team in the future. I don't think anybody reasonably thought the Titans would win, but the important thing is giving him the experience of a playoff game. Many QB's don't get to play in the playoffs so early.

Believe me Kerry Collins isn't taking this team far into the playoffs, even if they get lucky and win one game. The best thing is to give Vince Young the experience, if they think he is capable of being an NFL quaterback, which they do since they drafted him so high.

dhacker

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know Collins is not the future of the franchise. But when you get to the playoffs, the strategy must be about the 'Now', not the 'Future'. No team goes into the playoffs thinking about how the game will get them ready for the next season. They do (or should do) everything in their power to win that game . . one game, and only one game at a time. At the very least, Kerry Collins can complete passes to wide open receivers! If Vince is going to learn anything about how he's playing now that will help him in the future, he better start improving his educational study habits. Have you watched him on the sidelines? Goodness knows the cameras are on him enough. While other quarterbacks, veterans included, are pouring over the faxed pics sent from upstairs, talking to coaches, conversing with the other players, generally scoping out a plan, Vince stands alone, apparently lost in his on thoughts of how to preserve his image. You're not gonna get a whole lot better for the future that way!

If Vince Young doesn't grow up and get with the program, I have but two words for him . . .

Ryan Leif

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5226
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He look better than Tavaris Jackson, though.

dhacker

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps . . but that ain't sayin' much.

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He ain't no Romo, that's fer sure!

Jeff Preston
Intermediate Member
Username: Jeffpreston

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I have to say is "GO PATS".

Chumley

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ole Tony Homo, he's been boinkin' starlets in Mexico, while Eli has been studying and strategizing. ADVANTAGE: Giants!

Steve Sampson
Intermediate Member
Username: Sampsosm

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eli: Spoiled little whiny brat who had his daddy organize a trade because he didn't want to go to San Diego (which is ironically a better team now than the Giants).

Tony Romo: Late round draft pick who has something to prove. And bangs hot chicks.

Advantage: Cowboys

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn straight Steve!

Chumley's just trying to get under my skin because my team is doing well again and his team is back in its rightful place, trolling the murky bottom.

Steve Funk
Intermediate Member
Username: Tundra45

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto Steve and Mike. Eli is the most successful mediocre QB I've seen. He obviously needs a lot of team support to help him succeed. Granted he can lazer a bomb once in a while. But that's the problem, only once in a WHILE.

Mr. Romo is a very talented young QB needing minimal coaching and who's proven to be a diamond in the rough. He has got the "instinct".

Cowboys over the Giants by 8

I'll be very conflicted when the Cowboys take on the Seahawks assuming they survive the cheezers at Lambeau

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be ecstatic to see the Hawks beat the Pack on Saturday. It would demoralize all of my friends and neighbors around here that are Packer fans. For some reason they seem to think just because we live 30 miles from GB we all have to be Packer fans. So annoying. I got a Cowboys flag from my girls for Xmas and I'll be flying it all weekend just to annoy the neighbors!!

I suppose it would be even better if GB and Dallas both won this weekend and Dallas destroyed them in the championship game, but I'll take a Packer loss however I can get it!

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Careful Mike...that's like flying a KKK flag in Harlem.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dhacker

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I can't believe you'd be so heartless as not to allow Brett just one more chance at the ring.

Forget for the moment your abhorrence of the Cheezwiz Heads, and have some compassion for senior citizens!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 8320
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DH, that alone has given me a reason to be sympathetic to the Packers, no easy feat for someone who lived in Chicago on three different occasions. Of course I once lived in Dallas, too, but it was only for a year and absolutely nothing could get me to embrace the notion of "America's Team." For that matter, I also lived in Boston for three years, where I learned to love the Red Sox (easy for a lifelong Yankee hater) and occasionally follow the Bruins, but the cults of the Celtics and the Patriots escaped me.

So I guess I have to confess I'm rooting for Favre and the Pack this year, even though it would take a good measure of luck to upset New England (or even Dallas).

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "cult of the Patriots"? What's not to like about an unbeaten team?

I live in a funny place, right on the dividing line between Yankees/Red Sox, Knicks/Celtics, Giants/Pats, etc. Neighborhoods split into warring camps. Sometimes families, too. As a Mets fan who follows no other sports (I haven't watched a football game in 25 years), I just try to keep my head down.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You nailed it Paul, albeit in reverse. It should be: "What's to like about an unbeaten team?" When it comes to the NFL it seems everyone hates a winner (especially one that runs up the score and blatantly cheats). I didn't mind the Pats until this year. Now I want to see them lose so badly that I was actually cheering for the Giants in week 17....THE GIANTS!! As a lifelong fan of the Cowboys that's not something to be taken lightly.

Hack, I am SO SICK of hearing about Favre you have no idea. The coverage around here is so irritating as a non-Packer fan. The world could be coming to an end but you know what the top story would be on the local news? "Brett Favre had another successful bowel movement today". I think it all adds to my distaste for the Packers and their fans.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, like I said, I haven't watched a football game since '82, so I wouldn't know if the Pats are cheaters. But I understand what you mean. Kind of the way non-Yankee fans feel about the Yankees.

(I know. Not watching football makes me hopelessly un-American. I'm probably on some FBI "subversives" list as a result.)

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, they got busted for videotaping the Jets defensive calls from the sidelines. Big fines for the coach and the team, and they lost their first round pick in the next draft.

So, every team accuses the other ones of cheating in some form, but the Pats were the first to actually get busted for it!

Chumley

Post Number: 5231
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....and so, the 2nd weekend of playoffs end, and for this guy, proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy came at last. I might be born again.

I wish Mr. Romo and Ms. Simpson the best of off-seasons in Cancun this year.

I hope Mike Huss will still be able to enjoy his homebrew, even with the elevated salinity levels...

....and one parting shot, I think Mr. Romo could have hit Mr. Owens on that crossing route for a touchdown had he not been thinking about Ms. Simpson's giant bazongas when he was about to release the ball.

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad I brewed today, I didn't watch either game, but I am soooooo happy the Cowboys lost! There's some sort of voodoo hex to where Favre cannot win IN Dallas. Yet another reason to despise the Cowpokes. Playing the Giants at Lambeau, the Pack has a real shot at going to the Superbowl. Maybe I should brew again next week....

I just checked Weather.com and the 10 Day forecast says the High for next Sunday in Green Bay will be 11 degrees.

Mike, This photo is for you:

Suck It!

Chumley

Post Number: 5232
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if you are going to post a photo for Mike, Bob, I suppose I better post one as well....
Poor Tony Homo

dhacker

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Mike, but as much as you were/ are sick of hearing about Brett Favre, I've been equally annoyed with the coverage on Romo. I like Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, but their obvious bias for the Cowboys and Tony Romo was enough to make me root for the Giants,

Like Bob I checked the forecast for Greenbay next weekend. At this point I have no choice but to pull for the Pack . .

Hope Eli packs his long handles!

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah...I forgot to add. If you watched the Snow-Bowl on Saturday, I think Ryan Grant should have been voted MVP for the Packers AND the Seahawks. His two cough-ups in the first 5 minutes were responsible for 14 Seahawk points. I am not saying this to slam Grant, but to point out that had he held onto the ball those two times, we may have seen a much wider margin of victory.

Funny when you think of the similarities between Grant's performance on Saturday, and Favre in his early years. Favre has had that honor many, many times in the past, where he should have been MVP for both teams. I remember a comment Holmgren made about Favre one time. It was more than 10 years ago, but it went something like this:

"What the hell are you doing???!!! No! No!! NOOO!!! Arrrrgh! Huh? Yes. Yes! YES!!! Whooooweee!".....Great Job! DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!

You get the picture.

On Saturday, when I saw Brett throwing snowballs, I knew the magic was back. He is having fun, and when Favre is having fun, the rest of the team responds. They feed off his boy-like energy and recognize the joy in which Favre basks when the team is on fire, and they remember back to when they were kids and just had fun playing the game. You see it in his eyes when the camera zooms in. You see it in the eyes of the rest of the team, and you see it in the crowd. The magic is back and destiny knows.

That is the way I see it.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hack, are you serious? My wife (Packer fan, hates the Cowboys) thought it was funny yesterday and she nailed it. She said, and I'm paraphrasing: "Troy tried so hard all season to sound unbiased towards the Cowboys, to the point that he usually sounded anti-Cowboys. But today you can tell his bias is coming through and he's actually favoring the Cowboys. But what's up with the other guy? Does he really hate the Cowboys or what?"

She nailed it. Buck has to be the biggest condescending dick of an anti-Cowboys announcer that's ever existed, after that doorknob Phil Simms anyway. I'm glad Troy finally played homer a little bit yesterday to balance him out. They did more Cowboys games than anyone this year and I was quite irritated by both of them every time they did, except finally for Troy yesterday.

As much as it pains me, I hope the Pack beats the Jints. They did nothing to beat Dallas. Dallas beat themselves. Dropped passes, a total collapse of the O-line, and non-existent special teams coverage all spelled their doom. The funny part was it wasn't T.O. dropping the passes this time, it was normally sure-handed Crayton that stunk up the joint.

Like I've told everyone I've talked to so far, it doesn't matter anyway, it just gets the inevitable out of the way. I hope someone can beat the Pats but my hunch is whoever plays them gets shellacked, so better to lose in the playoffs and get started on the off-season then to lose in the Super Bowl.

dhacker

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it was more Aikman than Buck, but good announcers will kinda play off of each other. Honestly, I can't say I noticed Joe Buck being particularly condescending other than mentioning that the center didn't seem to be able to snap the ball. . which would have been an accurate statement. However, I, along with anyone rooting for Dallas, WAS very aware of Crayton dropping passes and punts.

And Jerry Jones' expression at game's end was worth the price of admission!

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and then there's this:

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: