Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * NM & AZ < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 5459
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wife and I are toying with spending our 30th this September doing an RV trip through New Mexico and Arizona maybe touching Nevada and California.

How much time is the Grand Canyon worth if hiking much is off the table?

I would like to see pueblos.

Any good beer things that we could "stumble" upon?

What other "don't miss'" are there. We are going to do a loop along the lines of I-44, I-40, I-15 and back I-70.

(Message edited by listermann on March 26, 2008)

Connie
Username: Connie

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if you'll get close enough to Santa Fe to check out the Second Street Brewery, but I like it. They have a seasonal bock that is really good. Look at their calendar.

http://www.secondstreetbrewery.com/aboutus.htm

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5460
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Santa Fe is up toward the pueblo area. We might go that way. Thanks!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 8664
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The last time I did the Grand Canyon was in a small plane, courtesy of my brother, a sometime charter pilot and flight instructor. They don't let you fly below the rim, but the relatively low altitude and airspeed provide quite a view.

As for seeing the canyon the conventional way, I prefer the less crowded North Rim. It's a little more than half a day's drive from Las Vegas and not close to anything else. In fact, it takes the better part of a day to drive from one rim to the other, not an uninteresting trip by any means, but certainly not a short one. Also, due to the elevation being quite a bit higher, the North Rim doesn't open until late May and closes again in November. You don't think of snow in Arizona, but there can be a lot of it in the northern mountains, enough to periodically close or delay traffic on I-40.

I'd say two days and two nights would allow you to experience the canyon adequately if you're not hiking down it (they also offer mule trips).

(Message edited by billpierce on March 27, 2008)

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just don't stuff your baked beans in your flashlight...

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Bill on the two days if you aren't planning on hiking down in at all. Assuming you will go to the South Rim, two days gives you time to browse around the different viewpoints, the visitor centers (make sure to check out the watchtower at Desert View on the east end), and just do all the typical tourist stuff. It's an awesome place. We were there in September ourselves and it's a perfect time, the crowds on the South Rim are much smaller, the weather is cooler, etc.

Since you will be coming back through Utah on I-15 to I-70 you should also go to Zion NP and Cedar Breaks NM, with a side trip down 191 to Moab and Arches NP. There is so much more to see in Utah but those are all along your path and worth checking out, especially Zion and Arches NP.

Assuming you will be taking Hwy 93 to go from I-40 to I-15, you will go right over Hoover Dam, which is also a must-see if you are in the area.

Have fun out there Dan! I'm VERY jealous! I've been trying to figure out how to get out west with two young children sometime soon but I just can't seem to figure out a way to go without waiting for them to get a little older.

Patrick C.
Advanced Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 796
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're going through Utah, go to Bryce Canyon.

bryce

Patrick C.
Advanced Member

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bryce

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5466
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I understand it, we will probably need reservations for camping and we had better do it soon even for September.

How does arriving at the South rim in the evening, taking it all in the next day, spending another night there then driving to the North rim for the third night sound?

Fritz Eubanks
Username: Fritzeubanks

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Four Peaks Brewing Co. in Tempe is worth a stop. Their Kilt Lifter scottish is pretty popular, but my vote goes to the 8th Street Ale.

Have fun!

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5467
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patrick, that is an awesome sight! I am reminded of the Gothic cathedrals of Europe.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5468
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wife is concerned about driving a 30' motorhome around the canyon. She has this idea that the roads are mountainous. Around the rim, I would think that they are fairly flat. Anybody know?

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thousands of motorhomes drive along South Rim every year, it's no big deal. South Rim is indeed quite flat. I haven't been to the North Rim so I don't know what those roads are like.

I would think you would be just fine giving yourself one full day on the South Rim. You could also hit the east end views on your way to the North Rim, which would allow you a full day in and around the Village.

Patrick, I was going to recommend Bryce as well, but that's a little bit out of the way on their route. There's also Monument Valley, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Glen Canyon, etc that are all very worth of seeing. It's all in how much time you want to spend in Utah. You could easily spend weeks there Dan.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5360
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to see pueblos, I would add Chaco Canyon and Taos to the itinerary...Eske's brewpub in Taos is pretty good (or was the last time I visited several years ago).

Patrick C.
Advanced Member

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bryce is not far from I-15 (relatively speaking). With enough homebrew and sunscreen I could probably spend a few weeks out there too.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5471
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The prospect of trying to pack three weeks of homebrew in a motorhome weighs heavily on my mind. Clearly I will have to live off the land a bit.

Then again, where are my priorities?

Tom Burk
Username: Tomburk

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, six cornies should last three weeks, you have to drink something besides beer sometime.

We didn't go to the glass walk out that one of the tribes has built, but my wife says we will next time, I think she will.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5472
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, how many days did you spend around the Grand Canyon?

I think that I have worked out a way to do both rims splitting the two with Las Vagas via Hoover Dam and Death Valley. Then on to Bryce Canyon.

We spent our 25th in Hell, Grand Caymen Island. Why not our 30th in Death Valley?

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We spent our 25th in Hell, Grand Caymen Island. Why not our 30th in Death Valley?

Jason Bentley
Username: Pacoustic

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

When I go to the canyon I normally spend the better part of a day on the South rim. I find the North rim much better, but of course for me it's a much longer drive. If you’re going to do both rims allow a couple of days. If you’re heading across I-40 I would also suggest the Petrified Forest and Arizona Painted Desert. They are both worth seeing.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5473
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The plan is to do the North Rim after Vegas and Death Valley on the way to Utah.

Petrified Forest was on our list. We will look into the Painted Desert. Thanks!

marc pullum
Username: Brewinales

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you wind up in zion national park keep an eye out for my class ring , lost it 35 years ago on a float down a river on a rented inner tube afternoon. The place is drop dead cool.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 8670
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zion and Bryce Canyon, while not far apart in terms of distance, are quite different in scenery and topography. They're both worthy stops in my opinion and can be seen in a day each.

By the way, one of the most beautiful drives in the Southwest (or anywhere, for that matter) is in Arizona from Flagstaff to Sedona. It's Oak Creek Canyon, and while there are some switchbacks they are not so bad that you couldn't drive them in a motorhome.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Dan, I hike the grand canyon every year. The drive around is easy in an RV, though it'll take ya ~5hours.

The south rim is more touristy, you can easily spend a day there, and the bright angel trail is pretty flat. The kaibab trail is more scenic but steeper.

The north side is much more scenic IMHO, but there's less non-hiking stuff to do. Some nice overlooks and some short hikes are all around.

When you say camping, do you mean camping IN the canyon at phantom ranch? I wouldn't recommend as that's at the base of the canyon, a long hike, especially out. Of course, you could ride the mule train, but yer wife would probably lose it on the narrow trails!

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2751
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just read BPs post, yes that's a great drive. There's oak creek canyon brewery too, which is small and quaint with good beer.

Flagstaff has beaver street brewery (sit outside with hop plants!), mogollon brewing, flagstaff brewing, and uptown billiards for good brewha.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: