Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Debate play by play < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(typing while watching, please forgive the choppiness)

McCain seemed a bit off-center and nervous. Obama seemed to be angry and self-righteous.

Obama kept looking to his left at someone while McCain was speaking as if he was signaling or getting signals. Definitely communicatig with someone.

McCain did a good job getting his point across that he will fight corruption and wasteful spending.

Obama did a good job stating he would only raise taxes for those who make over $250,000.00 a year. This plays well to the class warfare crowd.

McCain did a better job stating his plan for energy self-sufficiency by pointing out Obama's opposition to Nuclear power.

Obama really seems to be stoking the class warfare fires by using the terms "the rich" and "wealthy" unfavorably.

Obama tried to paint McCain as someone who voted with Bush 90% of the time. But McCain did a better job listing all the things he fought against the Republicans on.

McCain has a more realistic and pragmatic view regarding Iraq. McCain did a great job point out that Obama was absolutely wrong about the surge. and that he has never met with General Petraeus but denounced his report anyway.

Obama kept trying to interrupt McCain.

Obama did say "Capture and kill Bin Laden" Which is good.

Obama, did a horrible job with his body language. He seemed condescending and dismissive of almost everything McCain said.

Obama kept crying over spilled milk regarding Iraq.

OMG! Obama saying "I've got a bracelet too" WOW! how pathetic! (regarding bracelets with soldier's names on them)

I like McCain's idea about a "League of Democracies" Instead of the "United Nations" to unite countries against Iran and other countries that are rogue and terrorist states.

McCain did a better job pointing out the silliness of Obama's idea to meet with Ahmadenijad without pre-conditions that Obama did defending it.

This debate is a yawner. No real clear winner, but Obama needs to do a better job letting his opponent get his point across without rolling his eyes and looking angry and pissed off.

Beergroupie
Username: Beergroupie

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for clearing this mess up for us Bob. Your finger is on the pulse of America.

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beergroupie, did you watch the debate? Do you have an opinion regarding it? Or are you just more comfortable sniping from a distance?

Graham Cox
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting observations, Bob. I thought McCain came across as more serene and confident in his experience and his positions, while Obama was more agitated and anxious to prove himself. It was like a child debating a parent, and I don't say that in a pejorative way.

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, my post was not an analysis, but just what I noticed as it was happening. I guess that's why beerview felt it necessary to take a pot-shot at me.

Looking back on it, it really was rather boring and niether candidate had a "gotcha moment". I bet the news outlets are somewhat bummed out they don't have a clip they can play to rub one of the candidate's nose in.

McCain didn't hit his stride until well into the debate. He started off shaky and Obama was more confident. By the end, it turned around and Obama really let his body language get the best of him. It is as if he is not used to people disagreeing with him and seems to get real flustered at any percieved misrepresentation of his position.

I hardly think this debate did much to sway any swing voters.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6963
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_1.html

Tim Wi
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing that struck me was how Obama kept referring to, and addressing Senator McCain as "John".

I also was reminded repeatedly about Al Gore's sighs. Obama must have some of the same debate training.

Obama did manage to arouse Kissenger. I thought Obama's assertions there would backfire when he said them. Sure enough, Kisseger corrected the record promptly.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 5914
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see a lot of people seeing what they want to see here. FWIW I was camping with the Bloats that night and missed the debates. I made five gallons of mild ale that I am trying a different yeast out with - London III. I think that I need a more complete fermentation for bottle conditioning. Tomorrow, 2 bbls of mild with the original 1968.

Graham Cox
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see a lot of people seeing what they want to see here. FWIW I was camping with the Bloats that night and missed the debates.

Then how can you possibly comment on our observations, Dan, if you didn't even see the debate? Maybe what we said we saw was really what we saw, as opposed to "what we wanted to see." Bob made a number of comments that were positive about Obama's performance at various points. Obama didn't fall flat on his face, and nobody is saying he did. That is what I wanted to see - either literally or figuratively.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5915
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But of course . . .

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member
Username: Heu_brewer

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Obama kept crying over spilled milk regarding Iraq. "

One of the largest STRATEGIC mistakes in U.S. history. That and the STRATEGIC mistake of not perusing Bin Laden in Afghanistan both supported by McCain

Bob Wall

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are allowed to have your opinion. I personally feel much better having a few divisions of our boys between the Iranians and the Israelis.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 5919
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even the Bush administration no longer bothers to rationalize our presence much in Iraq beyond "We are there."

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: