Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * What do you do with 2 weeks left... < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member
Username: Heu_brewer

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unveil fine china

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/01/todays-photo-la.html

With the economy in the tank, job loss everywhere, Ms. Bush essentiallys says

"Let them eat cake"

Mike G.
Intermediate Member
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a good thing Obama promised to get rid of the new china and serve on Chinet instead.

OK, so I don't have a link for that.....

Brewzz
Advanced Member
Username: Brewzz

Post Number: 577
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was bought and paid for by a non-profit organization.....not by tax payers...I Hope

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The White House Historical Association Acquisition Trust, a nonprofit group, paid $492,798 for 320 14-piece place settings, according to a fact sheet officials distributed to reporters."

The White House Acquisition Trust is a private, non-profit, tax-exempt fund established to finance the purchase of fine art and decorative arts for the White House, the official home and principal workplace of the President of the United States. The fund is funded by private donation, through individual citizens and corporations. The trust is administered by the White House Historical Association.

In May 2006 the White House Acquisition Trust reported net assets of $8,485,245 on IRS Form 990.

So Hue, you are just being an ass.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 6424
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

$110 per piece!

Bob Wall

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, and paid for by not you.

Bob Wall

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/01/08/white_house_china.html

"Former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton also unveiled official china shortly before leaving the White House."

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 9806
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can think of some expensive china I've bought for wedding gifts, but $1540 a place setting is in a class by itself. Then again, my wedding gifts weren't used at the White House.

Which leads to the question whether each president has an individual pattern used only during that administration. Will Laura Bush be taking this set with her and will it then be on display at the George W. Bush Presidential Library? Will a new set need to be purchased for the Obama White House?

In the grand scheme of things this is small potatoes. I agree that Chinet might be more appropriate in the current economic climate, but I recall that Jimmy Carter caught flak from some quarters for carrying his own bag when he traveled by helicopter to Camp David for the weekend.

Bob Wall

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The dishes belong to the White house.

Jeff Rankert
Username: Hopfenundmalz

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saw a display of the WH China through the years at the Smithsonian about 23-24 years back. Styles and colors changed, but it always was high quality stuff, made in limited runs.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 9809
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realize there's a tradition and precedent, but it seems a bit much to purchase a new set of china every time there is a new president. I know each family does some minor redecorating when they move in, but to my knowledge there is not a complete change of furniture; for example, the bed in the Lincoln bedroom has been there, well, since Lincoln.

I don't know if it's germane, but here is Obama's impression of the White House, from his book The Audacity of Hope: "The inside of the White House doesn't have the luminous quality that you might expect from TV or film; it seems well kept but worn, a big old house that one imagines might be a bit drafty on cold winter nights."

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe he was planting the seed for a complete refurb!

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 9810
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And probably selling the rights to This Old House or Extreme Makeover.

Obama said he had this impression in 2005 when he had just been elected to the Senate and attended a courtesy reception for new members of Congress. At least he didn't have the audacity to say he wanted to be president someday, as 13-year-old Bill Clinton did when he met John Kennedy during the 1960 campaign.

(Message edited by BillPierce on January 09, 2009)

Patrick C.
Advanced Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 857
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JFK's response- "Yeah kid, the President gets all the best tail."

Bob Wall

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was true up until now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: