Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Congratulations Obama < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Tim Wi
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All politics aside, yesterday was a great day in U.S. and world history. Not because I think Obama is an obviously great man. He has yet to demonstrate his ability one way or aonther.

My first thought on the evening of the election was of the Tuskegee Airmen. They endured racism beyond my imagination; and many to die and suffer wounds of all kinds; to serve in war spawned by the most despicable and murderous of racists. What a bitter irony. To serve with distinction none can best and few can match... then to come home to sneers and stupid hatred... Damn.

I would like to think that their bitter experiences; their selfless example in spite of them; has continued to serve freedom to the present day.

Though I did not support him for president, my earnest hope is that Obama will govern well.

Good luck to you, sir!

davidwaite
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here, here, Tim. Well stated.

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice Tim, agreed. Obama will have the benefit of a Congress on his side which will be the exact opposite of the obstructionist Congress Bush dealt with for years. Let's hope he uses that advantage for good things and not to promote an agenda.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 9880
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George W. Bush had a congressional majority during his first term. His primary legislative accomplishment was in passing two tax cuts that especially benefited higher income taxpayers. These erased budget surpluses during much of Clinton's presidency and greatly increased the national debt. Of course at the present time no one is very concerned about deficits in this economic climate. The estimate for fiscal year 2009 is more than a trillion dollars.

davidwaite
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, if we had never met before and I was reading this I would picture you as Commander Data on the other side of the web, typing replies at the speed of light!

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 6476
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the first half of his second term as well.

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He indeed had a congressional majority, technically speaking. He also had enough obstructionist partisan hacks on the other side of the aisle to prevent getting anything done even with that majority.

The Dems in Congress spent basically Bush's entire time in office throwing a hissy fit about "stolen elections" and "falsified evidence" that they prevented anything useful from being accomplished. I'm hoping the grown men in the GOP will show Obama more respect than that as it won't be hard to do.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 6477
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the GOP will behave better than they did under Gingrich during Clinton's first term.

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Obama is the man everyone had been led to believe he is, then the GOP will support him for the most part.

But once the mask comes off, it will be back to partisan politics as usual.

I tell you now Obama is getting off on the wrong foot with the appointment of Timothy Geitner. If you or I failed to pay that amount of taxes, would we be shown the same deference? I think not. This clown is going to be in charge of the IRS for Christ's sake!

Is this what Obama meant by change?

Then there is Eric Holder. Our new Attorney General is a guy who was instrumental in the pardons of Mark Rich and FALN Terrorists. Then there is the Chiquita Death Squad affair. He got Chiquita execs off with a hand slap for paying $1.7 million to death squads in Colombia, to slaughter 4,000 union leaders and workers.

Again, is this what Obama meant by change?

What are we in for?

As Dan likes to say as if it is a tourette's tic:

"More of the same?"

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 6478
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Barack Obama doesn't care about white people..."

That would not be more of the same, now would it?

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unimodal

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boys, whether Obama has his party or the repubs. in congress he has asked for us to remove the traditional dogmas of parties and to look at issues based on principal. I believe we are going to see a congress that will take a little while to figure out that it is no longer business as usual but will embrace the idea of opposition based on principal not party.....we the American public have already accepted that but the dopes in Congress are generally slower than the rest of us folks.

Give it time, we have had other bad times but this country rights itself every time.

-Doug

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: