Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Egads < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Nephalist
Intermediate Member
Username: Nephi

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked my bank account online today. Normally I do it every day but I got my tax return last week so I know everything will go through for a few days. So I have an extra 5 grand in the account. Very high. Turns out accounting made a mistake. Now I have to go let them know. I hate to be tormented by the issue. As a younger man I believe I would have had no hesitation. Character counts. But I didn't get a pay raise in '09. I feel burned. Yes, I still have my job, unlike many others. I am grateful. I also have 3 kids. It sucks to be put in this position.
Edit: it was an employer payroll mistake, not a tax mistake.
I know it's easy to judge. But imagine the money in your account. I have student loans to pay. It's so easy to want to grab it.

(Message edited by nephi on April 28, 2010)

(Message edited by nephi on April 28, 2010)

Dave Perry
Username: Yax75

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had the same thing happen to me, but I have always made sure I have done my due course to make sure the money is actually mine. Cause if they are your employer they will just find a way to get it back from you when you will actually need it.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 11632
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your employer has more power over you (namely, your job, and ultimately the reputation necessary to continue in your career) than you do over them. There are better ways to leave your job if that is what you are looking to do. Bite the bullet and let the payroll people know of their mistake before they find it themselves--as they almost inevitably will.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judge you for feeling temptation? Not me.

Nine years ago, we hit a financial "perfect storm" in my family. My wife had gone back to school, cutting our income by half. We had made some expensive emergency repairs to the house. Then 9/11 knocked the legs out from under my business, cutting our income in half again.

We already live frugally, going camping for vacations and buying used cars and such. So there wasn't much fat to cut from expenses. The mortgage needs to be paid and the kids grow out of their clothes. I became a cliche, running up credit card debt for groceries and choosing which bills to be late on each month. We made it through the hard times and still own the house, but it took years of hard work to pay off the debt.

Now, I bill by the hour or day and there is no one here to check my timesheets. My clients just trust me to keep an accurate record of my billable hours. The temptation to pad my time was always there. Who would know? Just a little bit, y'know? I'd make it up to them later. No harm, no foul, right?

I never did give in to that temptation, but it was close. Very close. So close that it leaves me zero room to judge anyone else. "My kids need new shoes today vs possible reputation damage someday in the future? Hmmm...." Tough call. So no judgment from this quarter.

Pay it back right away because, in the end, you'll feel better about yourself knowing that you did the honest thing. But don't beat yourself up for feeling temptation.

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who knows, your honest, trustworthiness of telling them may reap rewards down the road in the form of a promotion or raise. .

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 7118
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I had a real "job," I got a travel expense reimbursement check for over $800. I hadn't traveled lately so it was a screw up. I turned it in real fast. Someone out there was expecting it and would shortly be making a lot of noise about it.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 11636
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I confess if it was the government that made the error I would let them discover it in their own sweet time, and take advantage of the interest in the interim.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 6108
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is because you are a Canadian, Bill, and are used to having the government take care of you from cradle to grave.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7121
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being in Canada makes him a communist too.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 11638
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not all Canucks are pinkos. The talk radio here has its share of those who are trying to start a Canadian version of the Tea Party movement, but so far they haven't gained much traction. Very few people want to think about being sick and having to pay for medical care with private insurance or from their own pockets.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7122
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt that the level of cynicism in Canada has risen to the US level. They, for the most part, seem to be a happy people. Some here seem to see cynicism as a sport, increasingly a contact sport!

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 11642
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Canadians are known for their meek and polite nature. Here is a joke that is occasionally told.

Q: How do you get 50 Canadians to leave a swimming pool when it is closing?

A: Simply announce, "The pool is closing. Will you please leave now."

Something about living next door to the US has left Canadians with an inferiority complex and a self-deprecating sense of humor. It may be one of the reasons so many Canadian comedians have found success in the US.

In some ways I compare life here to what it was like in the US 25 years ago. You can argue whether that is an entirely good thing, but I would have to say it's not entirely bad either.

I can also say that I had good training for life in Canada. I also lived in Iowa for 16 years.

(Message edited by BillPierce on April 28, 2010)

Michael
Username: Hoppop

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only person that has to live with "you" is you. For context, Goldman Sachs would have called their role in the mortgage meltdown as a market maker. Me? I have to sleep at night and would have done what you did. Return it. As I get older, my gut knows the answer.

Ron Siddall
Advanced Member
Username: El_cid

Post Number: 834
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait a minute Nephalist, are you absolute sure this isn't the tax decrease that Obama and Biden keep talking about?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: