Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Dow above 12,000, S&P 500 above 1300 < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 12544
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the first time since August 2008, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed above 12,000 today, and the S&P 500 Index above 1300. Some people are heralding this as an indication the recovery is in full swing, and it is certainly good news for anyone invested in stocks.

My question is this: if stock prices are a leading indicator, as indeed seems to be true, then how far do employment and housing figures lag behind it? For example, when will there be three consecutive months of unemployment below 8 percent, and two consecutive quarters with an increase in the sale price of existing homes nationally?

(Edited to correct spelling error. I spelled "housing" as "hosing." Some people would call that a Freudian slip. )

(Message edited by BillPierce on February 01, 2011)

Nephalist
Intermediate Member
Username: Nephi

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a pessimist. My generalization for the unemployment figures is that people who were the least employable found work during the housing bubble. They were the first to go after the bubble burst. They will have a hard time finding employment again. Of course as a generalization it's not accurate. Many talented/employable people are out of work.

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hit the nailed on the head....leading indicator. Employment lags well behind stocks and in some cases is decoupled. There is a huge amount of money sitting on the sidelines right now in the corporate world. I expect that as these companies see thier profits and stocks rise they will start working on bettering thier position in the growing market which transalates into highering. Another reason why high stock values are a good thing for the US economy is that we now have a very large and growing population of baby boomers who now see thier retirement investments growing again and feel better about spending their hard earned money. I have seen this first hand with my father-in-law who went longer than I have ever seen him go before replacing his car (usually every 3 years). The combination of dealers begging for his business and seeing his retirement investments going skyward again was too much temptation.

In all I say it will be 8 months to a year before we are all feeling really good about the future. Unemployment may still be 8% at that time but it will be headed in teh right direction and picking up steam.

Doug

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: