Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Totally off topic < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Aces and eightsSteve Ruch07-13-12  11:39 pm
  Start New Thread        

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 7857
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife is into genealogy - big time. Tonight we tried out a new headstone rubbing technique involving some sort of non woven material and a huge crayon. We did the headstone of my great, great, great, great grandfather, Heinrich Listermann, who died in 1864 at 93.

You could only make out his name, but only if you knew what you were supposed to be reading. The rest was nothing. The rubbing brought out his German birthplace, date of death and his age, plus the usual tombstone banalities.

So we did my father's mother's great-grandparents at another cemetery for good measure which were just as illegible.

She is happy!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13322
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done a little genealogical research, just enough to show me there is a lot out there. Unfortunately sites such as ancestry.com have turned this into a profit-making activity, in contrast to the general nature of online information that seeks to be free.

Among the sites that have some free information are those run by the LDS church (I have mixed feelings about Mormons, but I commend them for this). Unfortunately the US Census Bureau has played into the hands of the profit-mongers by selling much of the census data (despite the fact that the public paid with its taxes to have this information compiled). But the Mormons have purchased the 1880 census and placed it in the public domain. If members of your family were in the US in 1880, there is some fascinating information there.

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 03:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, is there a specific site where one can find said docs?

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7858
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wife said that she does not pay for census data. She can make them sing.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 13324
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DH, the 1880 Census data is here: http://www.1880census.com/

And here is an umbrella site for almost all of the LDS genealogy resources: https://www.familysearch.org/

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LDS will ship microfilm to any LDS church for $5 per film.

If you know some family details the LDS route is a good one

Skotrat

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DanDan...

Be careful when grave stone rubbing. Get the permission of the grounds keeper as it is usually no permitted and you will eventually be fined.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be aware that when you go poking into your family's past you may not always like what you find. We recently discovered that several generations of Haysletts were slave owners in the old South, going so far as to fight for the Confederacy to perpetuate the practice. Not something I'm terribly proud of. And now I'm in the uncomfortable position that when I bump into an African-American with the same, not-so-common, last name on Facebook, we end up dancing around the likely relationship of our great-great-great-grandparents.

Skotrat

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul

What was acceptable in those times should not weigh heavy on what you are and do with your life and family...

Paul Hayslett

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Scott.

Skotrat

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was in Heidelberg a few years back with a German Colleague and Friend...

He pointed to the famed Castle and said to me "You know you did not bomb Heidelberg and its castle in World War II"

I responded simply with "I have never personally bombed anything Tobias"

It took him a second or two but he smiled and said "Yes... You are right; now let's go drink beer and eat well"

I think that verbal transaction really puts it all in perfect aspect. Lifewise anyway.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 13325
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall reading about an African-American woman who was doing research at the Library of Congress about a relative who "passed" as being white and turned her back on other family members. At the same time she overheard another person in the library who said: "This is interesting; here is someone with my last name who is listed in the census as 'Negro'. They can't possibly be related to me."

Who knows what skeletons any of us may have in the family closet? But as Scott suggests, there's really no point in taking personally what was in the past and beyond our control.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7859
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While looking for birth records in Frankfort, KY we noticed that the birth of slaves were noted along with the free. They only used the mother's first name IIRC, and the father was always listed as the mother's owner, even if the owner was female. There was never a mention of who might be the baby's biological father.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 13327
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, I discovered that some members of my family were carpetbaggers who moved South to take advantage of the disarray after the Civil War. But they ended up "going native" and becoming thoroughly southern, to the point where I'd call them indistinguishable from those whose roots were there all along.

Tom Burk
Username: Tomburk

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The DAR has a library in DC. that has been very helpful when my daughter has been working on geneology.

We're trying to find a better connection to family background in the Kingdom of Jutenberg Germany. If anyone has a good source or direction on german geneology, some direction would be appreciated.

(Message edited by tomburk on October 27, 2011)

(Message edited by tomburk on October 27, 2011)

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7861
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is another method of making badly eroded headstones legable involving painting the stone with a slurry of mud. As the mud drys, the higher points, being thinner, dry first and the depressions later, staying darker and allowing you to read the text.

We haven't tried this and probably won't bother considering we now have good rubs on the three stones we needed, but it is interesting, huh?

Jeff Rankert
Intermediate Member
Username: Hopfenundmalz

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister is into the genealogy thing. As far as finding out things in the family past that one might not want to know: one in the Triangle Trade, an Axe Murderer, and a US Senator.

Skotrat

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to hear about the Senator Thing Jeff...

I hope that your family can get past it.

Jeff Rankert
Intermediate Member
Username: Hopfenundmalz

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was a shock, at least in my family. Turns out he was a fairly poor one, and did not serve his term out as he was bored with the job. It was a long time ago.

Steve Ruch
Intermediate Member
Username: Rookie

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If my immediate ancesters are any indication I'm not sure I want to know about the knuckleheads and cretins that came before. :-)

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 13336
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Immigrants frequently feel they have no chance to get ahead in their native countries. After all, there is little incentive to leave if you're comfortable and comparitively well-off. Those who do are often toward the bottom of society. Given a fresh chance in a new place with a different order, it's amazing what can happen.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7862
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The urge to emigrate is probably coupled with a mindset that can accommodate a lot of risk. These are very valuable minds.

Nephalist
Advanced Member
Username: Nephi

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,
I've heard that "theory" every now and then. Whatever advantaged sets of genes made their way across the oceans has been diluted and is on par with any other location. Lack of selective pressure etc. Still, I'm impressed with emigrants for the challenges they faced.

Brewzz
Advanced Member
Username: Brewzz

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Uncle did this thing 30 years ago,with no internet.He published a small book for Family members to hand down.He traced our Stearns Family name all the way back to the 1630's in Salem,Mass.
Kinda interesting if my Family experienced the witch trials.....

Brewzz

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7970
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our youngest daughter was at dinner with us the other night when she mentioned she had a "royal wedding" to go to. OK, explain. It seems that Katie Walker, who lived five blocks down the street and was a frequent visitor to our house was marrying an "Archduke." OK, again. "Yea, he is from Austria or something." "His folks are the archduke and duchess." As it turns out Katie Walker is marrying His Imperial and Royal Highness, Archduke Imre of the house of Hapsburg - Lorraine, the great grandson of the last Austro- Hungarian Emperor. The last time I can remember seeing Katie, she was dipping ice cream at a very nice local shop.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7971
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://vimeo.com/45045311

Something fun.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 13969
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, even if I'm older than you, I hope someday to age as gracefully into geezerhood, occupying myself with slightly absurd pursuits like building wood-fired pizza ovens, firing potato guns and raising racing pigeons that don't race. My wife says it will be over her dead body, and I'm afraid she may be right.

(Message edited by BillPierce on July 10, 2012)

Paul Hayslett

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love it!

Skotrat

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

almost makes Dan seem laid back and calm...

Obviously the film maker has never been on this site and read the "World Expressions" section

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7972
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He is a customer and cinematography student at UC.

I am very pleased with the work!

Skotrat

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a wonderful video Dan

aleman
Intermediate Member
Username: Aleman

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice Dan. I would love to have a camp like yours. Well done.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7973
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like to think that the camp is far cheaper than a psychiatrist.

I think I have finally got bread baking with yeast sediment down. I use about a cup or so per loaf and a bit of sour dough starter along with dry baking yeast. Rye tonight for a party at the shop tomorrow!

We will celebrate the repair of the loading dock's elevator. Thanks Phil!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: