Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * World Expressions * Wood fired pizza oven kicks butt! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 7953
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Took her for a spin yesterday and the reviews were great! Used dough made from a recipe from "Holzbackofen im Garten." Thanks Sabine Weyermann!

My question is that I have yeast on tap here from our fermenters. Has anyone any experience making dough using trub instead of some water to make dough?

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7954
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This morning I made a loaf of bread using 3 cups flour, some salt and honey and 1.5 cups of yeast slurry - no water or milk. Except for being somewhat undercooked, it was great! I want to make my pizza dough using slurry.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 13795
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might think a brewpub/pizza restaurant such as the Southern California Pizza Ports would have already tried this.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7957
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pizza dough made with yeast slurry instead of water met rave reviews. Even my wife, to my face, said that it was better than the Pillsberry stuff I bought.

Continuing in this direction, anybody have a spent grain bread recipe I could try this with?

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 7719
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"was better than the Pillsberry stuff I bought"......no offense, Dan, but that sets the bar pretty low.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7958
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't understand, Denny. I am talking about my wife here!

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 7720
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhhhh....I get it!

Tom Burk
Username: Tomburk

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, how did you determine what and how you would build your oven.I'm in the planning stages of building 2 and still researching, pictures would be good.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 7959
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't do pictures here well. There are a lot on Facebook.

Things I would do differently include:

Making the base thinner, it did not need to be 11" thick.

Place the floor's bricks on their edge instead of side so as to eliminate a layer of refractory.

Make the floor's insulative layer richer in clay. Probably equal volumes of vermiculite, cedar chips and clay.

Spend some time finding pearlite instead of vermiculite. It drys faster.

Use refractory cement for the door's arch instead of the clay.

Things I did that I highly recommend:

Get help mixing the clay and sand for the refractory layer. It is heavy and highly sticky.

Angle the floor's bricks realative to the door so that your peel is less likely to get caught on them.

Ring the oven with bricks to protect the walls from damage.

Make the chimney in the middle of the doorway. You can use the door as a damper by simply placing it in or out of the doorway.

I might consider making the doorway offset from the centerline of the oven to make using the peel easier.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: