Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Suggestion Box * Troll filter < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Paul Hayslett (64.252.36.217)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My top suggestion would be a profile option to suppress any message posted without a return (validated?) email address. I'm sure that it would hide some real brewing info, but it would also lose 95% of the nastier crud on the B&V. The S/N (signal to nastiness) ratio has gotten so low lately that it's unpleasant even to lurk.

Karl F. Lutzen (131.151.32.2)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, what you are proposing is to abandon the anonymous posting. That means all users need to be registered in order to post (or taken to the extreme case, read the posts). This defeats the purpose of the board. The concept of Brews and Views is to provide an open forum for anyone to read/post. To do what you are proposing, given the limitations of almost any discussion software is to either go to a registered user based board or become fully moderated board. Also, to verify all email addresses would also would require the moderators to deal with each userid registration. None of this will do well for the reason the board exists.

The board has been in existance for 5 years and we go through cycles of this stuff all the time. I can post a message at the top asking them to tone it down and start playing well with others, but it won't really help.

Paul Hayslett (64.252.36.217)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was thinking of it as an optional thing. Writers could still post anonymously and readers could choose whether or not to see anonymous posts.

Address verification can be automated. Of course, someone can set up a hotmail account just to catch return fire from the B&V. That's why I threw in the parens and question mark -- its usefulness is questionable.

I'm not familiar with the innards of any discussion group software, but I do program database-driven web sites for a living. The filter seems easy from a database perspective. If, as you say, no existing discussion software can do this kind of thing, maybe I've just found my next product idea!

cb (32.97.239.27)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Karl, duh. I saw the suggestion box after I pressed send for that mail to your address.

I'd like to echo what Paul H is suggesting...in a way.

One of the other forums I visit on the web has an option button, if I understand it correctly, that allows people like me to "squelch" posts from certain people so that I don't see the posts from that person. The button doesn't stop them from posting, nor does it stop other people from seeing their posts. The button only stops my screen from downloading / refreshing with posts from the squelched person. You might call that button the "ostrich with it's head in the sand" button. :)

Is there any possibility that this could be an option that could be added to the B&V?

J. Steinhauer (66.168.239.73)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karl,

I was about to say the same thing as cb. This is getting pretty old.

Also, maybe you could open a separate section specifically for registered users, while leaving the original forum "open". Actually, the way things look now, You'd probably only lose four or five posters that way. This forum was really useful to me in November and December, when I was just getting started, but visiting here is just getting unpleasant. I've pretty much stopped posting, and I'm getting tired of sifting through the garbage to read.

It's just too easy to say "Hey you! You're a stupid a** hole. Just a joke, ha ha!"

Hope there's a solution,

Steinhauer

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: