Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The George Fix Memorial Guest Book * Knew him through his books < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chris Colby (66.68.14.73)
Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never met George Fix, but he had a big influence on my life. I learned to brew from some graduate student friends who were "everything but the kitchen sink" brewers. We made "beer" from a variety of fermentables. With that experience -- and from what I'd read in the only homebrew book I had -- I thought homebrewing was a fun diversion, but that it was "lightweight," devoid of any serious intellectual content.

Then one day at The Modern Brewer, a homebrew shop in Boston, I saw a book with some molecular diagrams on the cover. It was Fix's "Principles of Brewing Science" (the first edition). I picked up the book (and a green book by someone named Noonan, even though I didn't think I'd be brewing lager beers any time soon) and my opinion of and enthusiam for homebrewing skyrocketed. Without George Fix, I strongly suspect I would have eventually dropped out of homebrewing.

What Fix gave this hobby was invaluable and we sorely need someone to pick up his torch.

Chris