HOMEBREW Digest #1418 Sat 07 May 1994

Digest #1417 Digest #1419

	FORUM ON BEER, HOMEBREWING, AND RELATED ISSUES
		Rob Gardner, Digest Janitor

Contents:
  re: Barleywine yeast ("Jack D. Hill")
  Beginners Strange Brews/spices again (Jeff Benjamin)
   (P Brooks)
  cane sugar use (Mark Bellefeuille)
  cider/water/yeast/maltex (Mike_Christy_at_mozartpo)
  basics/white sauce ("Daniel F McConnell")
  I vote *NO*! Do not split HBD (Bob Ambrose)
  Wyeast 1338 (Scotch Ale) (Mark Worwetz)
  Honey / Dry Yeast / Strange Ingredients / Split the HBD? (erict)
  UNS vs ASTM brass alloys ("Dave Suurballe")
  Wheat ferment temp (kesicki)
  Too long in secondary to bottle? (pqmertz)
  help: problem with first try at mead (Thomas A. Nawara)
  Admission Of A Breach Of De ("Mark Fredrickson")
  Smaller batches (Richard Nantel)
  Re: #2(2) Homebrew Digest #13... (kaz2)
  Green Sanitizers? (Gary Hawkins)
  Priming sugar question (David Draper)
  Re: Hot Liquor Tank ("Rick Violet")
  Thwaite's bitter and Copper Sugar? (Al Gaspar)
  Local Pub wants my beer. (braddw)
  switching a pin-lock keg to ball-lock (06-May-1994 0912 -0400)
  Calories, Carbos and beer (Stephen C. Anthony)
  RE: Beer or Bread? (Bill Ridgely FTS 402-1521)
  Re:Cider dump (Mike_Christy_at_mozartpo)
  thanks to all, carbonates (/R=HERLVX/R=AM/U=KLIGERMAN/FFN=KLIGERMAN/)
  Tripple Bock (tim norris)
  JS is wrong!, Split the HBD, and oh yeah Extraction rates ("KEVIN CAVANAUGH")
  Wort Chiller conservation? Why not save it! Tabernash Does! (Brian J Walter (Brewing Chemist))
  Experimenting Rookie (richard bitter)

Send articles for __publication_only__ to homebrew at hpfcmi.fc.hp.com (Articles are published in the order they are received.) Send UNSUBSCRIBE and all other requests, ie, address change, etc., to homebrew-request@ hpfcmi.fc.hp.com, BUT PLEASE NOTE that if you subscribed via the BITNET listserver (BEER-L at UA1VM.UA.EDU), then you MUST unsubscribe the same way! If your account is being deleted, please be courteous and unsubscribe first. FAQs, archives and other files are available via anonymous ftp from sierra.stanford.edu. (Those without ftp access may retrieve files via mail from listserv at sierra.stanford.edu. Send HELP as the body of a message to that address to receive listserver instructions.) Please don't send me requests for back issues - you will be silently ignored. For "Cat's Meow" information, send mail to lutzen at novell.physics.umr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 5 May 94 11:09:42 EDT From: "Jack D. Hill" <jdhill at BBN.COM> Subject: re: Barleywine yeast I just bottled a barleywine that I'm very happy with. It fermented 3 months before bottling and is drinkable now but I'm not going to touch it before Thanksgiving and even then I'll be stingy with it. I used 15 lbs. of Breiss 2 row grain with a single infusion mash. While boiling the wort, I added one 3.3 can of amber extract (I don't remember the brand). I also added 1 lb. of sucanet sugar. I used 2.5 oz of Kent Goldings for bittering and 1.5 oz. for finishing. After a 1.5 hour boil, I ended up with 4 gallons of wort. The starting gravity was over 1.120 - my hydrometer was pinned to its highest mark. I used Wyeast 1028, London Ale yeast, that I got from the Ipswich brewery in Massachusetts. After 2 weeks in the primary, the gravity had gone down to 1.030. I transferred to the secondary and added a champagne yeast. I was able to get the gravity down to 1.024 after 2.5 months. I suspect I would have gotten more if I had aerated the wort a little more before pitching. What surprised me though was how well the London Ale yeast did on its own. This beer has a taste very similar to a young, raw Thomas Hardy. I estimate that the beer has 12-13% alcohol. Jack Hill Return to table of contents